Producing Hydrogen Gas Cheaply

• Thread starter Archaeanimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, the individual is trying to find a cost-effective method for producing hydrogen gas (H2) using an electrolytic cell with carbon electrodes, powered by a dry-cell battery and A/C-D/C wall converter. They have considered using sulfuric acid (H2SO4), hydrochloric acid (HCl), potassium hydroxide (KOH), and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) as electrolytes, with a preference for something cheap and safe. The person is leaning towards using sulfuric acid or a hydroxide, such as NaOH, as they do not want to produce poisonous gases like chlorine (Cl2). If NaCl is used, there may be an initial production of chlorine, but it will eventually
Archaeanimus
I am trying to work out a method of producing hydrogen gas (H2) cheaply. What I have so far is an electrolytic cell with carbon electrodes from a dry-cell battery powered by an A/C-D/C wall converter with output from 1.5V to 12V. I plan on using distilled water, but I don't want to rely on the water self-ionizing to split the molecules as this would take a VERY long time. The electrolytes I've looked at so far are sulfuric acid (H2SO4), hydrochloric acid (HCl), potassium hydroxide (KOH), and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). I'd like to use something relatively cheap and unlikely to produce poisonous gases (ie, Cl2) and production of oxygen would be a plus. Any suggestions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Go for sulfuric acid or one of hydroxides. HCl is out of the question.

If you start with NaCl you will initially get some chlorine, later you will be left with just a hydroxide solution.

If you start with HCl, once all chlorine is removed from the solution, you are left with just pure water.

Thanks, I figured HCl might do that.
Sulfuric acid (I believe) will produce peroxodisulfate ions at less than 1V, but electrolysis of water takes at least 1.23V.
I know KOH is used in the extraction of heavy water, but I don't know what else it produces, if anything. If I do decide on the hydroxide, though, I think I'll use NaOH because the chemical properties are similar and it's a bit cheaper.

1. How is hydrogen gas produced?

Hydrogen gas can be produced through various methods such as steam reforming of natural gas, electrolysis of water, and biomass gasification.

2. What is the cheapest method for producing hydrogen gas?

Currently, the cheapest method for producing hydrogen gas is through steam reforming of natural gas, which involves reacting natural gas with steam at high temperatures.

3. Can hydrogen gas be produced without using fossil fuels?

Yes, hydrogen gas can be produced without using fossil fuels through electrolysis of water or biomass gasification. These methods use renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power.

4. How can the cost of producing hydrogen gas be reduced?

The cost of producing hydrogen gas can be reduced by improving the efficiency of the production methods, using renewable energy sources, and implementing advanced technologies such as carbon capture and storage.

5. What are the potential uses of cheaply produced hydrogen gas?

Cheaply produced hydrogen gas can be used as a clean fuel for transportation, electricity generation, and industrial processes. It can also be used in fuel cells to power vehicles and provide backup power for buildings.