Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Production of massive neutrinos in electron - positron annihilation.

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1

Maz

I bumbed in such event in on book written in middle 80's.

Does anyone know anything of such phenomena? Has that theory been killed or is there any info available of it anywhere??

Oh joy... I'm writing an essay of neutrinos, and I am really lost.. :|

Oh, and another question... Any other theories around, that try to expand SM, but supersymmetry and superstrings??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2

arivero

Gold Member

A russian team though there had found a neutrino about 17 eV mass. Not idea what kind of experiment it was.

4. Aug 10, 2004 #3
    The first ones that come to mind are Grand Unified Theories. Essentially they try embedding the standard model gauge group, U(1) X SU(2) X SU(3), into a simpler gauge group like SU(5). A good introduction can be found at
    http://www.geocities.com/jefferywinkler/beyondstandardmodel.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  5. Aug 10, 2004 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Current theory and experiments indicate electron-positron annihilation results in the production of two 511 kev gamma rays and nothing else.

6. Aug 10, 2004 #5

yep, yep

this is also a nice illustration of how restmass can be converted to relativistic mass and the other way around. Two fotons colliding (scattering) can form a positron-electron pair which have restmasses...

7. Aug 10, 2004 #6
    Doesn't a neutrino acquire mass through the Higgs conform the Standard Model

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?