Products formed by mixing Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide?

In summary, The conversation is about a person seeking help with a chemistry problem and providing additional information about the problem. The problem involves placing sodium chloride in a solution of potassium iodide and determining the products formed. The person is unsure about their attempted solution and mentions receiving extra information from their professor.
edenlivori
I've looked at this website so many times and have been saved by it! Now I need a lil help please! I can finish all the calculations and balance it myself if I can just get the equation!

Homework Statement

Sodium chloride is placed in a solution of Potassium iodide. What products are formed?

Additional notes from the professor say not to treat this as a net ionic equation as two products are formed.

Homework Equations

I know that Sodium chloride is NaCl and Potassium iodide is KI.

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess here is that it would be NaCl + KI → NaI + KCl?
I think that is right but the extra information about it not being a net ionic equation and all has just made me a little unsure! Thank y'all so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what is the expected answer. There are no two products, there is no reaction at all. The only "product" is a solution containing four different ions.

1. What happens when Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide are mixed?

When Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide are mixed, a chemical reaction occurs resulting in the formation of a new compound called Sodium iodide. This reaction is an example of a double displacement reaction, where the cations and anions of both compounds switch places to form new products.

2. What are the physical properties of the products formed by mixing Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide?

The product formed, Sodium iodide, is a white crystalline solid with a melting point of 651°C and boiling point of 1,304°C. It is highly soluble in water and forms a clear solution. It is also slightly hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the air.

3. Is Sodium chloride or Potassium iodide the limiting reactant in this reaction?

In order to determine the limiting reactant, you would need to know the quantities of each compound used in the reaction. Without this information, it is impossible to determine which compound is the limiting reactant.

4. What are the potential hazards of handling Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide?

Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide are both considered low hazard chemicals. However, they can still cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract if handled improperly. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling these compounds.

5. Can the products formed by mixing Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide be used for any practical applications?

Sodium iodide, the product formed by mixing Sodium chloride and Potassium iodide, has several practical applications. It is commonly used in the medical field as a contrast agent for X-rays and CT scans. It is also used in the production of photographic film and in organic synthesis reactions.