1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Products of Inertia with 3 rods

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    Products of Inertia with 3 rods....

Hi there, I was hoping someone could give me a hand with a question I'm working on. We first of all had to find the moment of inertia of a uniform rod of mass m and length a about an axis through one end that makes and angle alpha with the rod. I got this, but for the next section we have 3 uniform rods OA, OB and OC, of mass m and length a, that are rigidly joined at 0. The angle between OA and OB is pi/4, and OC is perpendicular to the plane of OA and OB. We have to determine the principal moments of inertia and the principal axes of the system.

So I figure we've to start with constructing the inertia tensor. I've got my moments of inertia about the x-axis, y -axis and z - axis (I presume you just calculate the moment of inertia of each rod about say the x -axis and then add them together to get the total moment of inertia of the system about the x axis?). Anyway, I'm a bit stuck when it comes to the products of inertia (the one example in our notes is a cube, which was much easier). Just so you can get what I'm picturing, I have OA along the x -axis, OB at pi/4 to it and pi/4 to the y -axis and the rod OC along the z -axis.

For F I got it equal to zero (F is sigma myz), but for G (sigma mxz) I wasn't sure how to go about it. For road OA and rod OC I got it to be zero because for OA z = 0 and for OC x = 0, but how do I go about it for OB because of the way it is at an angle? This is probably really basic but I've been off uni on Easter hols for about 2 and a half weeks and my brain appears to have shut down. :yuck:

Thanks for any help!

Claire

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted