Products of Inertia Table for Common Shapes

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the conversation is about a person named Tom looking for a table of products of inertia for common shapes. Fred suggests checking the FE Handbook, specifically the Dynamics section on pages 29-33. Daniel comments on the size of the table and Fred provides a direct link to the specific page in the handbook. Tom thanks Fred for the resource.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi folks,

I am looking for a table that lists products of inertia for some common shapes. Does anyone know where I can find one online?

Thanks,

Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/

If you go to the section on Dynamics (pgs. 29-33 I believe) there is a pretty decent table with Ixy, etc... in the last column. You can download the entire reference or just chapters.

I tried to upload just the table but it was 7 k too big.

Hope this helps.

Over 100KB even after zipping...?That's big,indeed.

Daniel.

What is a Products of Inertia Table for Common Shapes?

A Products of Inertia Table for Common Shapes is a table that lists the products of inertia for commonly used geometric shapes. These products of inertia are used in the calculation of the moment of inertia for these shapes.

Why is a Products of Inertia Table important for scientists?

A Products of Inertia Table is important for scientists because it provides a quick and easy reference for the products of inertia for common shapes. This allows for more efficient and accurate calculations of moment of inertia, which is a key parameter in many scientific studies.

How are the values in a Products of Inertia Table determined?

The values in a Products of Inertia Table are determined through mathematical calculations and formulas specific to each shape. These calculations take into account the shape's dimensions and distribution of mass.

What are some examples of common shapes included in a Products of Inertia Table?

Examples of common shapes included in a Products of Inertia Table are rectangles, circles, triangles, and cylinders. These shapes are frequently used in engineering and physics applications.

Can a Products of Inertia Table be used for irregular shapes?

No, a Products of Inertia Table is only applicable for regular and symmetrical shapes. For irregular shapes, the products of inertia must be calculated using specific formulas or through computer simulations.