Products of Inertia: Zero vs. Non-Zero Explained

• Thread starter doublemint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of product of inertia and how it relates to the rotation axis and symmetry axis of a given object. It is mentioned that when the rotation axis is parallel to one of the axes of symmetry, the products of inertia are zero. The conversation also addresses a calculation error in the product of inertia formula and clarifies that integrating from -a/2 to a/2 will yield the correct result.
doublemint
Hello,

I am confused about when a product of inertia is zero and non-zero. Does it depend on the rotation axis and its orientation wrt to the symmetry axis?
For example, you are give a square cube of sides a, a, a. My guess would be that the products of interia are zero if the rotation axis is parallel to one of the axes of symmetry. Then for a rectangular cube of sides a, 2a, 3a, if the rotation axis was diagonal through the centre of the rectangular cube, then the product of inertia is non-zero.

Another point I don't get is that when i calculate the product of inertia for the square cube with a rotation axis along one of the axis of symmetry, i get something non-zero.
Let say the square cube is oriented at the centre with mass m.
[tex]\rho\int^{a/2}_{0}\int^{a/2}_{0}xydxdy=\frac{a^{4}\rho}{64}[/tex]
where [tex]\rho=\frac{m}{a^{2}}[/tex]
Am I getting this right?
Any explanation would be helpful!
Thanks
DoubleMint

Physics news on Phys.org
hello doublemint! :smile:
doublemint said:
I am confused about when a product of inertia is zero and non-zero. Does it depend on the rotation axis and its orientation wrt to the symmetry axis?
For example, you are give a square cube of sides a, a, a. My guess would be that the products of interia are zero if the rotation axis is parallel to one of the axes of symmetry.

that's right … the products of inertia are the off-diagonal elements of the matrix, and if the coordinate axes are the principal axes of the body, then the matrix is diagonal, and so the products of inertia are zero
Another point I don't get is that when i calculate the product of inertia for the square cube …

with a name like doublemint, you shouldn't do things by halves :wink:

integrate from -a/2 to a/2, and everything will be ok :smile:

What are products of inertia?

Products of inertia are mathematical terms used to describe the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation. They are represented by the symbol Ixy and are calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the difference between zero and non-zero products of inertia?

If the products of inertia for an object are equal to zero, it means that the mass is evenly distributed around the axis of rotation. Non-zero products of inertia indicate that the mass is not evenly distributed, which can affect the object's stability and rotational motion.

How are products of inertia calculated?

Products of inertia are calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. This calculation is performed for each axis of rotation, resulting in three values: Ixy, Iyz, and Izx.

What is the significance of products of inertia in physics?

Products of inertia play a significant role in determining the stability and rotational motion of an object. They are also used in calculating an object's moment of inertia, which is essential for understanding its behavior in different physical situations.

Can products of inertia be negative?

Yes, products of inertia can be negative, positive, or zero. A negative product of inertia indicates that the object's mass is more concentrated on one side of the axis of rotation, while a positive product of inertia indicates a more evenly distributed mass.