Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ProE help needed

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you cut threads in ProE ?

I'm weaning myself off of AutoCAD, and I'm very new to ProE, so please give as detailed a reply as possible.

PS : I can think of one way to do this, using the "helical sweep" tool, but I'm sure there must be a better way. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nevermind...I just found out that ProE does not have e tool for drawing threads because the additional surface area results in giant file sizes. So it only has a "cosmetic thread" display - showing the min and max diameters, just like in AutoCAD.

Anyway, the helical sweep tool works reasonably well (you actually have to trick ProE by introducing a tiny mismatch) for drawing threads, but it takes a little time, and there are problems at the start and end of the threads. Thius can, in most circumstances, be overcome by threading a greater length and taking off the excess, by either slicing or subtracting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?