1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ProE help needed

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you cut threads in ProE ?

I'm weaning myself off of AutoCAD, and I'm very new to ProE, so please give as detailed a reply as possible.

PS : I can think of one way to do this, using the "helical sweep" tool, but I'm sure there must be a better way. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nevermind...I just found out that ProE does not have e tool for drawing threads because the additional surface area results in giant file sizes. So it only has a "cosmetic thread" display - showing the min and max diameters, just like in AutoCAD.

Anyway, the helical sweep tool works reasonably well (you actually have to trick ProE by introducing a tiny mismatch) for drawing threads, but it takes a little time, and there are problems at the start and end of the threads. Thius can, in most circumstances, be overcome by threading a greater length and taking off the excess, by either slicing or subtracting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook