Professional Advice on Solving these Equations Would be Appreciated

• Thread starter Perspicacious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    professional
In summary, there is a smooth real-valued function f(x) defined on the positive reals that satisfies a system of identities involving S, a function of x and y. One example is f(x)=1/x, where S=x+y. The question is whether there are any other solutions.
Perspicacious
There is a smooth real-valued function f(x) defined on the positive reals such that, for all x>0 and for all y>0, the following identities are always true:

f(y) + 1/[(x^2)f(x)] = S/(xy)

f(x) – f(S) = y/(xS)

1/[(y^2)f(y)] - 1/[(S^2)f(S)] = x/(yS)

S is merely a function of x and y and is defined explicitly by the first equation.

It's easy to see that f(x)=1/x is one function that satisfies this system. Are there any other solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
it looks to me as if S depends on f, in that first equation. what am i not seeing?

mathwonk said:
it looks to me as if S depends on f
You are indeed correct. And I said that S is a function of x and y. For example, if f(x)=1/x, then S=x+y and all these equations are satisfied. I am asking if there are any other solutions.

What are some common equations that require professional advice to solve?

Some common equations that may require professional advice to solve include differential equations, systems of equations, integrals, and complex equations.

Why might someone seek professional advice for solving equations?

Someone might seek professional advice for solving equations because they may be struggling to understand or solve a particularly difficult equation, or they may need help with a specific technique or method for solving equations.

How can a professional provide helpful advice for solving equations?

A professional can provide helpful advice for solving equations by using their expertise and knowledge to guide individuals through the steps of solving an equation, explaining difficult concepts, and providing tips and tricks for solving equations efficiently.

What are some benefits of seeking professional advice for solving equations?

Some benefits of seeking professional advice for solving equations include gaining a deeper understanding of the equations and techniques used, improving problem-solving skills, and being able to solve more complex equations in the future.

Are there any resources available for finding professional advice on solving equations?

Yes, there are many resources available for finding professional advice on solving equations. These may include online tutorials, textbooks, math help centers, or hiring a math tutor or consultant.