Professional Jobs during school

In summary, if you're looking for a job that requires certification, you may want to consider becoming a lifeguard or water safety instructor.
cronxeh
Gold Member
So I'm in process of becoming an EMT-B, but this being NYC means uncertainty in getting the desired position during favorable time scales. What other positions are available to me while I'm still in school and particularly one that may need certification?

I was also thinking about mortician, medical investigator - but this one requires at least a nursing degree (not to be confused with medicial examiner (ME) - requires MD), and also a police officer - for NYPD you need like 60 college credits, not sure how many I have but certainly more than that, and I doubt they have part time patrol positions

So any takers? What did you do professionally during college years (jobs in sales are not applicable)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for a job that requires some sort of certification, if you're a good swimmer, you could be a lifeguard or water safety instructor. The hotels with pools are always looking for lifeguards, and if it's an indoor pool, they need people year round, and as a water safety instructor, you could then train other lifeguards. If you university has a pool as part of their rec facilities, you might even be able to get a job there.

My sister is a certified lifeguard and it was really helpful when she got out of college with a degree in social work and couldn't actually live on a social worker's salary, so worked at one of the Atlantic City hotels on weekends and some evenings as a lifeguard to help pay the rent. The bonus to that is that she also became good friends with one of the massage therapists at the spa there, so now can get free massages any time! I'm so jealous! :cry:

I think your just being totally unrealistic, the two jobs you have looked at are jobs which require the organisation to invest a lot of time and money in the employee, they will not be willing to offer these jobs to a part-time or a short term worker.

Lifeguarding is a very good suggetsion, but I don't see why your rejecting sales as by doing that your greatly minimizing the number of jobs open to you.

jcsd said:
Lifeguarding is a very good suggetsion, ...

I agree. We even need a lifeguard here in PF since we have people drowning in the Dirac sea...

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I agree. We even need a lifeguard here in PF since we have people drowning in the Dirac sea... :)
Zz.
:rofl: Good one!

Actually, during my undergrad years I had numerous jobs - grocery store stocker, librarian/salesman at a museum, plumber/maintenance, oil refinery worker, construction/iron worker. I worked summers and holidays full time, and part-time during academic year.

During the academic year, at the first university, my full-time summer job as plumber/maintenance, became a part-time job during the year. I also worked in one of the dorm kitchens on campus for which paid for my room and board.

I also worked night time as a janitor in my father's office building (usually 2-3 hrs/night and on weekends).

In graduate school, I had either teaching or research assistantships. During my MS program, I worked full-time for a municipal water department as well as full-time student and teaching assistant. I would sleep about 4 hrs/day during the week and catch up with sleep on the weekend. Talk about sleep deprivation. :rolleyes:

1. What types of professional jobs can I do while in school?

There are a variety of professional jobs that students can pursue while in school. Some common options include internships, part-time positions, freelance work, and on-campus jobs such as research assistants or tutors. It is important to consider your interests and skills when deciding which type of job to pursue.

2. How can I balance a professional job with my schoolwork?

Balancing a professional job with schoolwork can be challenging, but it is not impossible. One way to manage this is by creating a schedule that includes dedicated time for both work and studying. It may also be helpful to communicate with your employer and professors to ensure that your workload is manageable.

3. Will having a professional job during school benefit my future career?

Having a professional job during school can have many benefits for your future career. It can provide valuable work experience, help you develop important skills, and allow you to make professional connections. It can also demonstrate to future employers that you are motivated and have a strong work ethic.

4. How can I find professional job opportunities during school?

There are several ways to find professional job opportunities while in school. You can search for job postings on online job boards, attend career fairs, network with professionals in your field, and utilize resources provided by your school's career center. It may also be helpful to reach out to your professors or academic advisors for potential job leads.

5. Can I receive academic credit for a professional job during school?

Some schools offer academic credit for professional jobs, such as internships, that are related to a student's field of study. This usually involves completing assignments or a project related to the job and receiving supervision from a faculty member. It is important to check with your school's policies and procedures for receiving academic credit for a professional job.