Professor Walter Levin from M.I.T.

• Thread starter airkapp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary: I meant 18.01, 18.03, 18.085, and 18.06.In Physics there's 8.01 and 8.02In Math there's 18.01, 18.085 and 18.06Those are all that I know of.It's 30% female in my class... *shrug*Doesn't help our odds much though, because the odds may be good but the goods may be odd. :tongue2:In Math there's 18.01, 18.085 and 18.06
airkapp
Hi, just some advice searching here. I'm doing my classes online through this guy from M.I.T. http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm

Any comments? Anybody here about him? he seems pretty good so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's Lewin. :wink:

I personally enjoy his style. He's also a pretty funny guy.

what the crap.. there are females at MIT??

On a second thought.. this reminds me of a joke I once read

"Another day they may pull a prank by sneaking a girl into a group of high school students and parents visiting Caltech, then 'kidnapping' the girl and yelling, 'We got one! We got one!'" :rofl:

Last edited:
i had him last semester for 8.03 lecture, which i believe have also been posted on the web. the lecture on rainbows was especially interesting, check that one out.

cronxeh said:

They obviously imported them in from Wellesley.

I remember a few months ago he put up an interesting picture and asked people on the internet to identify the phenomenon seen in it (if I recall correctly if you were in his class at the time you'd get extra credit if you got it right). I gave it my best shot and was one of thousands who did, but he wrote back to each and every one of those people. I wasn't that far off from the actual answer, actually, and was really excited to see that he'd taken the time to write back!

DarkEternal said:
i had him last semester for 8.03 lecture, which i believe have also been posted on the web. the lecture on rainbows was especially interesting, check that one out.

Hmm..

Don't see it there.

Just 8.01 and 8.02

I really wish there were more videos on OCW, the ones they have are priceless.

DeadWolfe said:
Hmm..

Don't see it there.

Just 8.01 and 8.02

I really wish there were more videos on OCW, the ones they have are priceless.

Just watched the first one in the 8.02 course, very good. Is there a way of getting a list of all of the courses that have video lectures??

cronxeh said:
Why does that surprise you??

Pete

Because statistically there are far less females going into science/engineering
School - % females:
Caltech (31 %)
Columbia - Fu (26 %)
Worcester Poly - (24 %)
RPI - (25 %)
my school - (19 %)

I think I read recently that MIT is close to 50-50 male-female.

primal schemer said:
Just watched the first one in the 8.02 course, very good. Is there a way of getting a list of all of the courses that have video lectures??

In Physics there's 8.01 and 8.02

In Math there's 18.01, 18.085 and 18.06

Those are all that I know of.

It's 30% female in my class... *shrug*
Doesn't help our odds much though, because the odds may be good but the goods may be odd. :tongue2:

DeadWolfe said:
In Math there's 18.01, 18.085 and 18.06

I think you mean 18.03, and not 18.01. Differential Equations, not Single Variable Calculus.

But those are also the only 5 courses with video lectures that I know of, as well.

Yes, 18.03.

Sorry.

1. Who is Professor Walter Levin from M.I.T.?

Professor Walter Levin was a renowned physicist and professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.). He is best known for his contributions to the field of quantum mechanics and for his pioneering work in the development of the atomic bomb during World War II.

2. What are some notable achievements of Professor Walter Levin from M.I.T.?

Professor Walter Levin was a recipient of the prestigious Nobel Prize in Physics in 1953 for his work on the development of the atomic bomb. He also made significant contributions to the understanding of quantum mechanics and was a key figure in the Manhattan Project during World War II.

3. What was Professor Walter Levin's area of expertise?

Professor Walter Levin was a renowned physicist and his area of expertise was in the field of quantum mechanics. He also had a strong background in nuclear physics and was one of the leading scientists in the development of the atomic bomb during World War II.

4. What impact did Professor Walter Levin have on the scientific community?

Professor Walter Levin had a significant impact on the scientific community through his pioneering work in quantum mechanics and his contributions to the development of the atomic bomb. He also mentored and inspired many students at M.I.T., who went on to become successful scientists in their own right.

5. What is Professor Walter Levin's legacy at M.I.T.?

Professor Walter Levin's legacy at M.I.T. is that of a highly-respected and influential physicist and professor. He helped establish M.I.T. as a leading institution for scientific research and his contributions to the field of quantum mechanics continue to inspire and influence generations of scientists.