1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proffessional confusion

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1

Haelfix

Science Advisor

For those out there who are grad students, postdocs or other active researchers.
    Whats the most embarrasing brainfart/blunder you've ever had while doing your work?

Mine is probably when I was working on a tough SuSY problem. I had just learned a rather abstract way of doing something, and there were operator valued distributions, matrix valued pforms, sheafs and all sorts of little abstract nasties all over the place. At one point I had gotten the problem down to something I thought was close to being the solution, the only issue was I had absolutely no idea what I was staring at, or how to proceed further.

I had a function * object squared + some determinant equal to a trace. I spent days trying to figure out what was going on. Finally in despair I bring it to the theory group, and they stare at me with a funny look. Then a grad student walks up to the board, subtracts the determinant and takes the square. It turns out I had been looking at nothing less than something like x^2 + constant= constant. The objects involved werre trivially nothing more than single valued function and I was too dense to realize it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    Routinely feeling like an idiot is part of the game we play. One great thing about these fora is it is a great place to anonymously ask questions without feeling embarrassed about our own ignorance.

Personally I often get bogged down in details that many would consider trivial. On the other hand some things that I consider trivial are not to others.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?