Profit Equation (need to maximize profit)

• Thread starter Duke77
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to maximize profits for an automobile manufacturer with a fixed cost of $45,000,000 and a production cost of $5,500 per car. The manufacturer has found that for every $1 decrease in price, the number of cars sold increases by 24. To solve this problem, we can use the equation (80,000 + 24x) (12,000 - x) - 5,500x, where x represents the decrease in price. By expanding the equation and taking the derivative, we can see that the maximum profit occurs when the derivative is equal to zero. This gives us an equation of -48x + 76,000 = 0, and solving for x gives us
Duke77
An automobile manufacturer finds that 80,000 cars can be sold if each is priced at $12,000. However, the number sold increases by 24 for every $1 decrease in the price. The manufacturer has fixed costs of $45,000,000; in addition, it costs $5,500 to produce each car. How should the cars be priced to maximize profits?

Thanks for all who help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maximize the following the following equation for x :

(80,000 + 24x) (12,000 - x) - 5,500x

I like the method you use to understand the material! :rolleyes:

Maximize Profit Equation but how do you maximize profits

I appreciate the help with the equation and I hope to figure out how to maximize profits by myself but at this point it's a trial and error system. I know there must be an easier way to do this. Thanks all.

graph and find the feasible region on your graph. Pick out your vertex points. One will be the maximum. Take this and find an equation for it.

Paden Roder

What grade are you in Duke. Have you done any calculus (differentiation) yet. Alternatively have you studied the properites of parabola's before ? Either of those things will give you a "way in" to maximizing that equation.

Last edited:
I am a freshman in college and am currently finishing up calculus, my math teacher gave us this problem to work on in groups but since I was gone I am trying to figure out everything by myself and he refuses to help anyone. I have done differentiation but I forget how to do it since it was months ago. Could you help me? If not I understand but I'm trying to complete this by 5 pm tonight.

One other thing, I tweaked your equation so it worked

[(80,000+24x)(12,000-x)-(5,500)(24x)+(80,000)(5,500)]-45,000,000=profit

Last edited:
Hint: The maximum on an interval either occurs at the end of the interval, or at a point where the derivative is zero.

Just expand (multiply out the bracketed terms) that profit equation and you'll see it a parabola. You should get -ax^2 + bx + c. The x^2 term is negative so it's a upsidedown parabola which has it's maximum were the slope (derivative) is zero. So just differentiate the equation and find the value of x that makes the derivative zero.

I multiplied out the whole equation and got -24x2+76,000x+475,000,000 and when i put it in my calculator i get an error "window range". What should i do?

Disregard my last post, I figured it out and thanks so much for everyone who helped me. You saved me lots of stress. Thanks.

I took the derivative and solved for it when it was 0. I got 1583.3 for x to maximize profits if anyone was curious.

One other thing, I tweaked your equation so it worked

[(80,000+24x)(12,000-x)-(5,500)(24x)+(80,000)(5,500)]-45,000,000=profit

OK that's good. BTW I deliberately omited the "constant" parts of the cost equation becuase they make no difference to the resulting maximization. I did however make a mistake in the original equation as it should have been (omiting constant costs),

(80,000 + 24x) (12,000 - x) - 5,500 * 24x as the "x" dependant terms.

So expanding this out gives, -24x^2 + 76,000x + constant

The constant doesn't matter, the derivative is -48x + 76,000 and all you've got to do is work out what value of "x" makes that zero.

1. What is the profit equation?

The profit equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the profit of a business by subtracting the total cost from the total revenue. It is often represented as Profit = Revenue - Cost.

2. Why is it important to maximize profit?

Maximizing profit is important for a business because it ultimately determines the success and financial stability of the company. By increasing profits, a business can invest in growth opportunities, pay off debts, and provide better returns to shareholders.

3. What factors affect the profit equation?

The profit equation is affected by several factors such as the price of goods or services, the cost of production, the number of units sold, and the level of competition in the market. Changes in any of these factors can impact the overall profitability of a business.

4. How can a business increase its profit?

A business can increase its profit by implementing strategies such as reducing costs, increasing prices, expanding into new markets, and improving operational efficiency. It is also important to regularly analyze and adjust the profit equation to identify areas for improvement.

5. Are there any limitations to the profit equation?

While the profit equation is a useful tool for businesses, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the relationship between revenue and cost is linear, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account external factors such as economic changes or unexpected events that can affect profitability.