1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Profit maximizing supply

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the profit maximizing production output given any random production function, an output quantity, and a unit price. In fact, I need to find a function which would output a profit maximizing production quantity.

2. Relevant equations
    I have a relevant picture:
    250px-Profit_max_total_small.svg.png

3. The attempt at a solution

We will assume that production cost function at a given quantity is C(q) = q^2 due to the diminishing returns of the production process, and consequently exponentially growing costs.
    The total revenues function is R(p,q) = p*q
    The total profit function is therefore P(p,q) = R(p,q) - C(q) = p*q-q^2 = q(p-q)

I assumed a constant price, and graphed P(q) as a constant function of profit at a given quantity q sold, and could find the profit maximizing quantity graphically for any price I wanted. For example, for the price of 4 dollars per unit, the profit maximizing quantity was 2.
    I simply replaced p with 4 in the total profits equation, so that it would be P(q)= q*(4-q).

Now, knowing this, I need to find a function which would output the profit maximizing output at a given price (say, S(p, q), which would output the profit maximizing supply). How do I do that? I would assume I would need to use a second partial derivative test and so on and so forth, but I don't know how exactly to apply it here.

I also need to learn to be able to do that for any given production cost function, so any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?