Program about the birth of the universe

In summary: According to the presenter, the universe was not created according to natural law, but rather through some unspecified process. They also said that more matter than anti-matter was created. Since no matter was before and matter/anti-matter is created and destroyed in pairs, how can this be?In summary, the presenter believes that the universe was not created according to natural law, but rather through an unspecified process. They also said that more matter than anti-matter was created, which contradicts the second law.
cen2y
Hmm... I watched this program about the birth of the universe.
If there was nothing before and the universe orgiginates from that, doesn't that violate the 2nd law? They also said that more matter than anti-matter was created. Since no matter was before and matter/anti-matter is created and destroyed in pairs, how can this be?

Argh, this was supposed to go into a topic. How can I delete this message?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Only a mentor can.

In the mean time, what's "2nd law"? Whose?

what's "2nd law"? Whose?

Mine: "Thou shalt not steal unless there's no one around who can see it"

Originally posted by cen2y
If there was nothing before and the universe orgiginates from that, doesn't that violate the 2nd law?
Since time is a property of the universe, there is no "before" the universe was born.

If there was nothing before and the universe orgiginates from that, doesn't that violate the 2nd law? They also said that more matter than anti-matter was created. Since no matter was before and matter/anti-matter is created and destroyed in pairs, how can this be?

Argh, this was supposed to go into a topic. How can I delete this message?

The matter/antimatter problem is not that unequal amounts were made (impossible I think) but that there is an asymmetry between the decay rates of one particular particle and its antiparticle. This difference meant that for every billion particle-antiparticle anhilations, one matter particle was left behind. As the Universe quickly cooled, no more of these particle/antiparticle pairs were made, so the matter remaining was 'frozen' into the Universe. Good job too!
I'd like to find a source for what I've written above as I read all about this once, but haven't seen anything on it since.. Any good links anyone?
(I hope it is not all rubbish!)

If there was nothing before and the universe orgiginates from that, doesn't that violate the 2nd law?

We generally excuse god for disregarding this, or any other law.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is the widely accepted scientific explanation for the birth of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How old is the universe?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is about 13.8 billion years. This age is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe.

3. How did the elements form in the early universe?

According to the Big Bang Theory, the first elements in the universe were hydrogen and helium. As the universe expanded and cooled, these elements combined to form heavier elements through nuclear fusion in the cores of stars.

4. What is the evidence for the Big Bang Theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

5. What happened in the first moments after the Big Bang?

In the first moments after the Big Bang, the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion known as inflation. During this time, the universe grew from a subatomic size to about the size of a grapefruit in a fraction of a second.