1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program in USA

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    Hi everybody ! I'm French and I have any questions.

- What is the program of physics at the high school? (In USA)
    - What is the program of mathematics at the high school? (In USA)

I'm new on PF and I'm very interesting by Physics. I go to a english's forum because I want to learn to speak english... Because, I have a bad level in english xD !

Thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking what kind of classes one might expect to have in high school? I can't speak for physics, but for mathematics, the highest level you can reach before college is the second Calculus class (of three), and from what I understand, it's not as good as going through the college sequence.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    For exemple, in my classe we have in Physics:

- Mechanical Wave
    - Radioactivity and Nuclear Energy
    - Mechanical of Newton and harmonic oscillator
    - Electricity (RC, RL, RLC)
    - A little Physic Quantic (very little...)

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4
    This is far more advanced than American high scool science courses.

In the US, the elementary education is very weak in the sciences and math. This is not true at the university level so there is often a big catch-up phase for the university freshmen.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    Ksitov the things you listed in your last post are part of the AP Physics C: Mechanics class. There are two AP Physics C classes, one is mechanics and the other is electricity and magnetism. They are both calculus based, but there is AP Physics B which is algebra based. If you're unfamiliar with AP classes, they're basically like college classes (atleast the material is meant to be college level), and if you do well on the exam your college may award you credit for that class or allow you to skip that class in university. The highest level math you can take with these AP courses is BC Calculus, which is equivalent to Calculus 2 (integral & applications and series calculus). However some high schools allow you to study multivariable calculus your senior year if you've finished AP BC Calc. your junior year, but it will not count for college credit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook