1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program to help me choose classes

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    Hello, does anyone know of any website that has a program that lets me type in all the classes I want to take and type in the times and days for them, and then the program arranges them in ways that don't overlap so I can visually see what classes I will be able to take that semester?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    I was thinking about making a program that did exactly this. I gave up after thinking about it for a little bit because of the large number of possibilities that would have to be presented. If you wish to take 5 classes and each has 4 possible time slots that's 45 = 1024 possible combinations. A computer could certainly handle this, but how would you present it to the user?

I thought about having the program calculate things like total gaps between classes and days per week of class, but realized it was a lot easier just to put the choices in a text file and start arranging them into the most logical combinations. This is the kind of thing humans are very good at, compared to computers.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    Out of all those combinations though, there would only be a couple of combinations where there's no overlapping of times. I don't know how to make programs, so I have no idea how hard it would be. You'd think something like that would already exist.

5. May 26, 2012 #4
    Try schedulizer.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook