Can I Fine Tune My Three-Phase Digital Output with a Programmable Delay Line?

In summary, the speaker is working on a circuit that produces a three-phase output of digital pulses and wants to add a programmable delay line to fine tune the phasing and avoid delays caused by other circuitry. They are considering using a nifty IC by Maxim or logic chips for this purpose and are seeking input from others who may have experience with similar setups.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am working on a circuit that produces a three-phase output of digital pulses using a shift register and NOR Gate. the circuit, as it is now, works great with the delay between adjacent channels being less than 0.5 ns. But The three digital outputs of this circuit will be routed through other circuitry (drivers, Fets. and cable) that could produce unwanted delays between the channels.

I want to add a programmable delay line on the output of each channel that I can use to 'fine tune' the phasing to keep everything lined up. Since this circuit can operate up to 22MHz, any delays produced can cause significant issues.

The delay line I have in mind would have a range of about 80ns with, say an 8-bit tuning byte. I have found a nifty IC made by Maxim (DS1124) that can do this but I want to see if I can make something similar using logic chips. I have a few ideas but thought I would ask you all here if you have every come across anything like this.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
More shift registers immediately come to mind.

1. What is a programmable delay line?

A programmable delay line is an electronic device that allows the user to precisely adjust and control the amount of delay in a signal. It is commonly used in digital systems to synchronize signals or to create time delays in a circuit.

2. How does a programmable delay line work?

A programmable delay line typically consists of a series of delay cells, each with a fixed delay time. By selecting and activating different combinations of these cells, the overall delay can be adjusted. This is done using control signals from a microprocessor or other digital circuit.

3. What are the applications of a programmable delay line?

Programmable delay lines are used in a variety of applications, including telecommunications, data communication, signal processing, and testing and measurement. They are also used in radar systems, medical devices, and audio and video equipment.

4. How accurate is a programmable delay line?

The accuracy of a programmable delay line depends on the quality and precision of its internal components. Typically, they have a delay accuracy of within a few nanoseconds, but this can vary depending on the specific device and its specifications.

5. Are there any limitations of using a programmable delay line?

One limitation of programmable delay lines is that they can introduce jitter in the signal, which is a variation in the delay time. This can be minimized with proper design and selection of components. Additionally, some delay lines may have a limited range of delay or may be prone to noise interference.