Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming languages of value

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    Hi All,

I am probably opening a can of worms here, but I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this. Forgive the simplified question, but I think you all will know what I am asking.

What programming language should I really get involved in to increase my marketability as an employee?

I have worked with Matlab and Mathematica. I have used LabVIEW in industry and am well seasoned in that. I am also a seasoned web developer... but none of these are really programming languages, and they do not seem to be as desired as real programming languages. I have worked in JAVA, Python, and C++, but I am by no means an expert at any of them. I am getting my master's degree in physics right now, and I know that being a good researcher and mathematician is not good enough these days in industry. There is a lot more anecdotal stuff that would possibly modify my question, but really I just want to be smart about my future. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This topic has been addressed here about 4,000 times so I'd suggest a forum search instead of our all having to just type it all in all over again. The bottom line is that if you talk to 8 different people about it, you'll get 9 different opinions. ;)

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks, I did not know there was a computer science forum, I only use math and physics help here because that's what I work on. I should have searched.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook