1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming OPLCs

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am in the process of building a new vacuum system at work and instead of using the usual assortment of dedicated controllers for pumps,pressure gauges and relays I was thinking of maybe using an OPLC.
    However, the only experience I have when it comes to "programming" hardware is using Labview Realtime to program a NationaL Instruments FPGA-DAQs in a PXI system (I also have some experience with Atmels AVR microcontrollers, but that is of course quite different). Although I should perhaps mention that I have a lot of experience controlling hardware from a PC using GPIB, RS232, USB etc, usually via Labview (which I use a lot) but also via Matlab,C, BASIC etc...

Anyway, my question is this: How difficult is it to program e.g. one of Unitronics OPLCs (with built in display)?

I've had a look at some of the videos at the Unitronics website and it looks fairly straightforward using their graphical IDE, but I have zero experience of ladder logic.
    I don't want to spend several days just learning how to do the programming...

I should perhaps mention that in addition to the usual IO for relays and gauges I would also need to be able to control a couple of units via RS232 or RS485, I don't know if that makes it more complicated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted