Does the OS Matter in Programming?

In summary, most people seem to think that the OS does not matter when programming, but it is important to use the same compiler, IDE, and OS as the instructor is using.
mattmns
Does the OS matter in programming, say for Java, or C++, or any language? The CS department here seems to use linux, but they also lend out macs, and I would be surprised if XP was not acceptable, so I am under the impression that it does not matter. However, this seems a bit strange considering software support for linux, I would think that if there were only a few changes that needed to be made then it would be easy to offer software for any OS. So what is the general consensus? Danke!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Linux and OSX use gcc / cc. If you want gcc on XP, then you might want to install cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) for a unix-like experience. For simple console applications, it probably won't matter too much. One issue that did arise when I was working on code that needed to run on a pc and a mac is the little-endian / big-endian issue.

When I was learning C++ (on Windows), my instructor used Visual C++ for all of his examples. Use of Borland C++ was acceptable. However, when using Borland, I noticed that minor differences were confusing to me, as a beginner. I switched to Visual C++ and things went smoother.

In my opinion, as a beginner, it's best to use the same setup (OS, compiler, etc..) that the instructor uses... or else the setup of your friends who could help you.

My $0.02.

the OS certantly matters. Visual C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, and many other RAD tools generally one run under Win32, as they are compiled to *.exe's. Linux has a language in itself, which also does not run under Windows. But to your speficic question. C++ and Java are very OS flexible languages, just make sure you don't use any libraries that are native to the OS which your program is not designed to run on.

Thanks for the responses. I will do as you suggested and see what the professor is using and then use that setup.

1. What is an operating system (OS)?

An operating system is a software that manages the hardware and software resources of a computer. It provides a user interface for interacting with the computer and manages the execution of programs.

2. Why is the choice of operating system important for programming?

The choice of operating system is important for programming because different operating systems have different features, capabilities, and limitations. This can affect the development and execution of programs, as well as the compatibility and performance of the code.

3. What are some popular operating systems for programming?

Some popular operating systems for programming include Windows, macOS, Linux, and Unix. Each of these has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice often depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the project.

4. How does an operating system interact with the hardware?

An operating system interacts with the hardware through device drivers, which are software programs that allow the operating system to communicate with specific hardware components. This allows the operating system to manage and control the hardware resources of the computer.

5. Can the choice of operating system impact the performance of a program?

Yes, the choice of operating system can impact the performance of a program. This is because different operating systems have different ways of managing resources and executing programs, which can affect the speed and efficiency of the code. Additionally, the compatibility of the program with the operating system can also play a role in its performance.