Where Can I Find Open Source Projects to Collaborate on as a Programmer?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to gain experience and market oneself as a programmer. The speaker shares their plan to work on a project over the summer and asks for suggestions for open source projects or websites to collaborate with others. They also mention their past experience in developing custom software for businesses and highlight the importance of understanding a company's business model in order to come up with useful solutions.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

Next fall I plan on getting an internship and at all the interviews they ask, well what kind of projects have you done? Well really there's no projects that are impressive. The programs the professor assigns are challenging and make you think a lot to do it but its not somthing you would bring up in an interview.

So over this summer I would like to help other programmers develope somthing so I can say, "Well I worked with a team and we created..."
I know C++ pretty well, and some Java but I would feel more comfortable programming in C++.

Anyone know of any open source projects or websites that do this sort of thing, bringing programmers together to work on a project for fun?

Any info would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of something useful that you can market (for instance, to local businesses). Years ago, when 286's were pretty competent computers and servers were 386's, I taught myself how to code in dBase. I wrote custom bookkeeping software, and when FoxBase came out with a run-time module and a compiler, the software would run REALLY fast. Every business has some kind of special slant that you can code for. I was writing straight accounts-payable/accounts-receivable software for a trucking company and found out that they had a line of credit at a local bank that allowed them to borrow against their receivables. I wrote them some code that allowed them to age their receivables (banks don't like to loan against receivables that are over 60 or 90 days due) and prompt them to ask for payment while the receivables were fresh (under 30 days).

I heard the owner's daughter complaining to the dispatcher that some drivers were filling up in NH, at a truck stop where they could get a free meal. The problem is that NH does not rebate state fuel taxes for fuel purchased in that state but not consumed there. Many states will rebate some of the fuel taxes if you purchase fuel there, but don't drive too many miles on their roads. I asked if she would like me to write a program into which the dispatcher could input the fuel taxes and the rebate rules for each state, so he could tell the drivers where they should tank up to save the most in tax money. She jumped on that, and in about a week, the program was in place and saving them significant money.

The trick is to ask people about their business model and use your imagination to come up with ideas that might help them accomplish things that they are resigned to "do without". You'll be a hero, and you'll probably get a really nice letter of recommentation out of it, if you ask.

Hello!

It's great that you are looking for opportunities to gain hands-on experience and build your programming skills. One option you could consider is contributing to open source projects on platforms like GitHub or SourceForge. These projects often welcome contributions from developers of all levels and can provide a great opportunity to work on real-world projects and collaborate with other programmers. Additionally, you could also look into participating in hackathons or coding challenges, which can also help you build your portfolio of projects. Best of luck in your search!

1. What is a programming project?

A programming project is a set of instructions and tasks that are carried out using computer programming languages to create a specific software, application, or system.

2. Why are programming projects needed?

Programming projects are needed to solve problems or address specific needs using technology. They help streamline processes, automate tasks, and improve efficiency in various industries.

3. Who can work on programming projects?

Programming projects can be worked on by anyone with the knowledge and skills in computer programming. This includes software developers, computer scientists, and students learning programming languages.

4. How do I start a programming project?

To start a programming project, you need to have a clear idea of what you want to create and the purpose of the project. Then, you can choose a programming language and plan out the steps and tasks needed to complete the project.

5. How long does it take to complete a programming project?

The time it takes to complete a programming project can vary depending on the complexity of the project, the skills and experience of the programmer, and the resources available. It can range from a few days to several months or even years.