1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Progressive wave equation.

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wave moving in the positive Ox-direction has displacement of particle of 0 at the origin, O at time = 0.The displacement-distance graph showed a positive sine graph.
    Write an expression for the variation of the displacement y with time t for the particle at O.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My book said that for the particle at O, the equation of motion of particle is y= A sin (ωt).
    But shouldn't it be y= -A sin (ωt -kx) and when x=0, the equation became y=-A sin(ωt) since the particle at O must move down for the wave to propagate to the right hand side.

And if its y= A sin (ωt - kx), at t=0 and the x=λ/4, then displacement is negative. This is inconsistent with the positive sine graph of displacement-distance graph.

Someone please lend me a hand on this, Thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you not understand that "A" is an arbitrary constant which may be, itself, either poisiitive or negative>?

I can make no sense at all out of "if it's y= A sin (ωt - kx), at t=0 and the x=λ/4" There was no mention of λ before this. Where did that come from?

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3
    Okay. I will provide more details. The positive sine graph of displacement-distance graph has amplitude of 3 and wavelength of 4 meter while frequency is 2.5 Hz.
    Therefore, the displacement against t for particle at O given by book is y=3 sin (5ωt).

For your doubt, I assume that when t=0 and the x=λ/4, y= 3 sin (-pi/2) which is negative value. But the positive sine graph of displacement-distance graph at t=0, showed a positive displacement of 3 when its is λ/4 away from O.

Shouldn't it be y= -3sin wt for particle at O?

5. Jun 21, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If 'positive sine graph' means that for small x > 0, y > 0, then I agree: if the sine wave moves towards increasing x then at 0 it must be descending, so y = -|A|sin wt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted