Progressive wave equation.

• Thread starter hhm28
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A wave moving in the positive Ox-direction has displacement of particle of 0 at the origin, O at time = 0.The displacement-distance graph showed a positive sine graph.
Write an expression for the variation of the displacement y with time t for the particle at O.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My book said that for the particle at O, the equation of motion of particle is y= A sin (ωt).
But shouldn't it be y= -A sin (ωt -kx) and when x=0, the equation became y=-A sin(ωt) since the particle at O must move down for the wave to propagate to the right hand side.

And if its y= A sin (ωt - kx), at t=0 and the x=λ/4, then displacement is negative. This is inconsistent with the positive sine graph of displacement-distance graph.

Someone please lend me a hand on this, Thanks alot.

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do you not understand that "A" is an arbitrary constant which may be, itself, either poisiitive or negative>?

I can make no sense at all out of "if it's y= A sin (ωt - kx), at t=0 and the x=λ/4" There was no mention of λ before this. Where did that come from?

Okay. I will provide more details. The positive sine graph of displacement-distance graph has amplitude of 3 and wavelength of 4 meter while frequency is 2.5 Hz.
Therefore, the displacement against t for particle at O given by book is y=3 sin (5ωt).

For your doubt, I assume that when t=0 and the x=λ/4, y= 3 sin (-pi/2) which is negative value. But the positive sine graph of displacement-distance graph at t=0, showed a positive displacement of 3 when its is λ/4 away from O.

Shouldn't it be y= -3sin wt for particle at O?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
If 'positive sine graph' means that for small x > 0, y > 0, then I agree: if the sine wave moves towards increasing x then at 0 it must be descending, so y = -|A|sin wt.