Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prohibited Materials on test

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/PDFs/NY_20042005RegBulletin.pdf

:rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2
    The scary thing is that I theoretically know how to use a slide rule (for a person my age), I learned it an ancient physics textbook that advised all students to "Go out and buy a slide rule now." I just need to get myself a hold of one for real. I think it will run circles around my graphing calculator.

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

It's kinda disgusting the way things have gone. The first 4-banger calculator (+-*/; no memory) came out when I was in high school. It was about 1/3 the size of a computer keyboard, cost $800 (and that was when our money was worth more than the Yanks'), and ate a couple of AA batteries per day. If you were caught with one on school property (even just in the glove box of your car), you were expelled on the spot. Didn't matter if you used it or not. The crime was in possession. Next thing I knew, the ex-from-hell's 10-year old son had to buy a graphing calculator for class. I've got one of the damned things in my OS, and can't begin to figure out what it does.

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do people still waste money on Graphing Calculators?

Pocket PC's are smaller, more powerful, colorful, and um... way better.

6. Mar 22, 2005 #5

SOS2008

Gold Member

The list doesn't look all that bad... Smokeless tobacco? In high school we were allowed to bring breakfast into the "early bird" class--before regular sessions started (so maybe there was a little Vodka in our OJ?). Well, you could take in an abacus....

7. Mar 22, 2005 #6
    1. School requires you to buy a specific type of graphing calculator.
    2. Cheaper.
    3. Good luck trying to take a pocket PC into most exams.

8. Mar 22, 2005 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. Let me guess, a school marketing scam.
    2. Respectable.
    3. Most won't allow a graphing calculator as well.

9. Mar 23, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You're right, they left that one off the list. :biggrin:

It has the look of a list that they just keep adding onto rather than really reading and updating it to keep up with the times. In this day and age, if a kid actually knows how to use a slide rule properly, I think I'd reward them for that and encourage them to bring it! :tongue2:

10. Mar 23, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I found that if you lubricate the slide and apply a rubber band properly, you can nail someone on the far side of the room with it. o:)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  11. Mar 23, 2005 #10
    No this refers more back to the days of high school where most kids are required to get the same type of calculator, the idea being it's easier for a teacher to teach a class how to graph etc. when everyone's got the same kind. And once you've got a perfectly good calculator and know how to use it why get a new one for college? We're all cheap after all! :biggrin:

12. Mar 23, 2005 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My girlfriend's school requires that you all get the same calculator. I'm not kidding either.

They name the calculator after the school.

13. Mar 24, 2005 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No slide rules??!! :cry: I'd fail!!

Dang, I really feel her pain. Our school was named after a tire company. Worse yet, my dad worked for the 'other' tire company - I was one of the outcasts who had to hang around the railroad tracks like juvenile delinquents. :frown:

14. Mar 24, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Re: original list

They seem to have omitted lopping off fingers and toes so you have to count in your head. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?