1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Project for detecting PNP/NPN

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Workinfg on a project for a teacher currently and need help designing the circuit for how to detect whether a sensor is PNP or NPN. I need to have 2 9V batteries power the NPN or PNP sensor and then have a spot for the third wire, where if it is positive output (PNP) (sourcing) then one LED lights up, whereas if it is negative output (NPN) (sinking), then a different LED lights up. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Try to make a circuit with one LED first, I think the second one should be easy to add with an additional (known) transistor afterwards.

4. Jun 2, 2013 #3
    Well I understand that but I only want to have 3 wire inputs for the sensor which then has both LED's tied to the same spot just each turns on depending on whether it gains a sourcing or sinking output from the sensor? does that make sense? I don't really know what to do for that, a bipolar transistor?

5. Jun 3, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just 3 connections for the LEDs? That's still possible.
    Try to convert "pnp<->npn" to "low potential<->high potential" (somewhere) first.
    Just 3 connections are easy if both LEDs can share a common connection to the power source (positive or negative side).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted