1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Project: get a sms when my electricity falls out

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am in my first year electronics/ICT but have already successfully completed several courses about electronics, microcontrollers, programming, fysics...
    I have to make a project in my second semester and im really interested in domotica, so thats why i want to do something about that.
    My idea was to give a little domotica touch to a holiday house of a friend:
    1. get a sms/or check on a website when the electricity falls out
    2. get a sms when the temperature is to low (below 5 degrees) or check on a website the temperature of the house

My ideas of the solution:

I was thinking to put a microcontroller with temperature sensor in his living room, when the electricity falls out, a battery has to take over the microcontroller and has to send an sms.
    The microcontroller is connected to a website where you can check the state of the temperaturesensor.

2. Relevant equations
    I know he has a Theben wireless thermostat, is there a way i can connect the microcontroller directly to the thermostat so he can control the temperature from his own house?
    Or can i connect the microcontroller to the boiler to archieve this? so the microcontroller takes over the thermostat function?
    If the electricity is on i can connect the microcontroller to the internet so het can send the information for the website? any ideas how to do this?
    If the electricy falls out i have no internet anymore so i was thinking about sending an sms with an gsm module in the microcontroller. any ideas how to do this?

3. The attempt at a solution

written in 1 en 2

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?