Chemistry Meets Quantum Physics: An Exciting Posterboard Project?

In summary, the conversation suggests using quantum mechanics to create a chemistry posterboard project. The idea of discussing the binding energy and wavefunctions of a hydrogen molecule, as well as looking at different hybridization of orbitals, is proposed. Additional resources and suggestions for more advanced ideas are also offered. The field of quantum chemistry is mentioned, which involves more complicated physics, math, and concepts. Free programs are available to help with calculations for the project.
Crazy Tosser
I have a chemistry posterboard project coming up, and, to not waste time and actually learn something, I want it to be something related to quantum physics. Does anyone have any idea what it could be about so that it still has some 10th grade chemistry in it? Or no chance? D=

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? =(

Thank you for the bump. I didn't notice this question earlier.

Well, how much quantum mechanics do you already know?
Do you know about the hydrogen energy levels and wavefunctions? (and what chemists call the s,p,d,f,etc. orbitals?)

If so, discussing the binding energy and wavefunctions of a hydrogen molecule (so you can use the binding and anti-bonding diatomic orbital picture that may have been presented in your high school chemistry). Also interesting would be to look at methane (in chemistry terms, sp3 hybridization of the orbitals). If you want to see a series of the different hybridization of orbitals, maybe: ethane (which is sp3 on each carbon), ethylene (sp2), acetylene (sp).

For pretty "poster pictures", I'm sure you can find stuff on the internet discussing this with pictures.

EDIT: A cursory search shows wikipedia has some nice public domain images you can use, as well as some articles to get you started (of course remember the usual caveat - always use books and more reputable sources once you know what you need to look for... wikipedia should not be a final destination nor treated as a primary source).

EDIT(2): If this isn't in depth enough (say for instance this all has already been covered in class), I can give suggestions to make it more advanced (more heavily quantum mechanics based) if necessary.

EDIT(3): I'd be willing to give plenty of extra help if you could get a teacher to answer my question :) https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=229904

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I can easily suggest more advanced ideas if you want.
The first thing to realize is that the s-p-d-f orbitals and hybridization is a good starting point, but is far from the whole picture.

While the hydrogen atom has an exact solution (well, non-relativistically and ignoring magnetic effects), no multi-electron atom or molecule has an exact analytic solution (not even simple old helium). When someone wants to compare experiment to numeric theoretical predictions, we need to come up with some way to use quantum mechanics to get numeric answers.

Even simple methane is interesting. What are the vibrational modes and their energies? And which ones are FTIR active (an experimental measurement chemists often use)? A lot of interesting quantum mechanics (and group theory if you want to get into that) is involved in these questions. Also, there are the questions of excited states of the molecule... what are their energies, which can absorb (this question also can involve group theory if you wish), are they stable states or does the molecule break up?

It turns out that methane has an excited singlet state, but not a triplet state. Something that just rough s-p-d-f arguments probably can't show... more detailed quantum discussions are needed.

This field is sometimes called "quantum chemistry".

While the physics, math, and concepts are somewhat more complicated, there are free programs out there designed by people working in the field to do such calculations. They use them with a lot of computer time to make some state of the art calculations, but you can use it to do simple calculations quickly on your PC and learn about the concepts (and get some nice graphs and such) without having to get into the messy calculations yourself.

If you're interested, just let me know.

1. What is the purpose of the project?

The purpose of the project is to explore the connection between chemistry and quantum physics and how they work together to explain the behavior of matter at a molecular level. The project aims to present this information in an engaging and visually appealing way through the use of a poster board.

2. What are some examples of chemistry and quantum physics working together?

One example is the study of molecular orbitals, which combines principles of both chemistry and quantum physics to explain the distribution of electrons in molecules. Another example is the use of quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of chemical reactions at a molecular level.

3. What materials will be needed for the project?

The materials needed for the project will vary depending on the specific design and layout of the poster board, but some common materials may include poster board, markers or colored pencils, images or diagrams related to chemistry and quantum physics, and any additional materials for interactive elements, such as pop-up models or diagrams.

4. Is this project suitable for all ages?

While the project may be more suitable for older students who have a basic understanding of chemistry and quantum physics, it can be adapted for all ages. Younger students may need more assistance from a teacher or adult, but the project can still be a fun and educational experience for them.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working on this project?

As with any science project, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. If working with chemicals, make sure to wear gloves and protective eyewear and work in a well-ventilated area. If using sharp tools, such as scissors or knives, make sure to handle them carefully. Additionally, always make sure to clean up any spills or messes promptly.