1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Project Ideas for Advanced Quantum

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

In my advanced quantum course (I'm a master's student) I'm supposed to give a 40 minute talk about something that I find interesting that is related to our course material (which is basically anything in quantum. We basically covered: scattering theory, many-body stuff (second quantization) and relativistic QM (KG and dirac equations but we stopped just before QFT)) and I'm having difficulty coming up with a topic. I would really like to do something related to second quantization. Something where I could apply a second quantization approach to say quasi particles in a system and do some straightforward manipulations to get some experimentally verified predictions. Can anyone help me with topic suggestions? (NOTE: we covered BCS theory pretty explicitly so I can't do that although that's the kind of thing I'd like to do). So far I've been thinking of things like:

-Quantum Hall Effect
    -Magnetic Monopoles as Excitations in a Lattice

I don't know much about these things and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a semi-straightforward second quantized theory for the things that produces interesting results or could just suggest a new topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2
    Mean-field theory of ferromagnetism and antiferromagnetism might be a good idea. It is right along the same lines as the BCS theory that you covered I am guessing. Somewhere in Gerald Mahan's Many Particle Physics book there is at least some of the derivations for this. Beware though, I have found some typos in his book including in these sections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook