Evaluating Renewable Energy Projects for Senior Design Course

In summary: EE senior at my college, is taking a senior design course this semester. He says that one of the options for the project is to use one of the class's own ideas, but the end use of what is created can be in any field. He and some of his classmates are discussing some ideas for projects and he asks if there is any other project that would be appropriate. I tell him that the best advice is to "steal" because that is what has worked for me in the past.
Xkaliber
Hi all,

I am an EE senior in college and am taking a senior design course this semester before I graduate. It involves either choosing to undertake an educational project that one of the class professors suggests or using one of our own ideas. The course lasts a single semester and we are in groups of five students. Since this class is for Electrical and Computer engineering students, our project needs to include some aspect related to our major, but the end use of what we create can be in any field.

My group got the list of projects proposed by the two professors in our class and while some were interesting, none just seemed to fit with what we were looking for. The group I am in has several people with power backgrounds so we would prefer to do something related to renewable energy if possible. So far we have tossed around a few ideas like piezoelectricity (using force/pressure or sound to create electricity), a bicycle generator (this idea seems overused to me, but would consider it if we could offer something unique that is not already out there), Portable Water-wheel Generator (think small portable windmill turned upside down in a river), or a windbelt (). These were a few ideas we discussed but do not have to make any final decisions until Tuesday.

I figured I would ask the technically-minded fellows here at Physics Forums if they have any additional project that would be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd start by assessing what realizable resources do you have at hand. For example, some type of generator may sound like a good project, but it would likely require machined parts. Do you have access / funds / experience regarding machining?
The same holds true regarding your ability to generate artwork for a circuit board, realize complex code in a realistic time, etc...

I've been in the product development business for about 18 years, and my best word of advice is - steal. Well, not literally, but don't fabricate a thing that can be found somewhere. Don't write a line of code that can't be mooched. Stick a dozen ugly off-the-shelf circuits together before you try to get pretty with it.

Why? Because you're in a hurry, and, fortunately for you, this is a prototype. Everything takes soooo much longer than you'd think. In the world, most anything new takes at least 9 months. I've been on a project where everything was custom - it took about 8 years to ship and the CEO lost his job.

Finally check your math. You've spent 3 years learning analysis. If you make some reasonable assumptions about change in velocity of the air going past a little piezo generator, and then ascertain how much power was exchanged, does the idea make sense? You're math is the best tool in box.

Good luck, have fun,

Mike

1. What is the purpose of evaluating renewable energy projects in a senior design course?

The purpose of evaluating renewable energy projects in a senior design course is to provide students with a hands-on learning experience in designing and analyzing sustainable energy solutions. This allows them to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems and gain practical experience that can be transferred to their future careers.

2. What are the key factors to consider when evaluating renewable energy projects?

The key factors to consider when evaluating renewable energy projects include the availability of natural resources, feasibility of the project in terms of cost and technology, potential environmental impacts, and the potential for long-term sustainability and scalability.

3. How do you determine the effectiveness of a renewable energy project?

The effectiveness of a renewable energy project can be determined through various metrics such as energy output, cost-effectiveness, environmental impact, and social benefits. These factors can be evaluated through thorough analysis and comparison with other existing solutions.

4. What are some common challenges in evaluating renewable energy projects?

Some common challenges in evaluating renewable energy projects include limited access to data, unpredictable weather patterns, high upfront costs, and varying regulations and policies. These challenges can make it difficult to accurately assess the potential success and impact of a project.

5. How can the evaluation of renewable energy projects contribute to the advancement of sustainable energy solutions?

The evaluation of renewable energy projects can contribute to the advancement of sustainable energy solutions by providing valuable insights and data that can inform future projects and policies. It can also help identify areas for improvement and innovation, ultimately leading to more efficient and effective renewable energy solutions.