Project to build a solenoid

• Thread starter Bern123
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I need to project a solenoid. But i have some questions:
- How much need to be thick enamelled copper? How i can calculate the thickness necessary? (to not burn solenoid wire)
- Will be good enamelled alluminium too?
This if i suppose to power it with 10A, 2000turns.
And:
- How i can power the coil?(where i can find or build a generator to give me 10A costant current?)
- How i can build a generator(or multiple generators) to power multiple solenoids with this high current?
- Where i can find or buy a good plunger, it need to be magnetic or metal(what type of metal)? With full core?

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Also:
- How much frame influence the magnetic flux? I need to connect it to ground or an end wire of the coil?

Permalloy is a good material to have a high speed(50-100hz) and high force(10N-40N)?

Last edited:
Why do you want to build a solenoid?

10 A is well in the range of commercial power supplies, assuming your coil resistance is reasonable (that will influce your thermal load as well). Why 10 A?

The price of commercial solenoid is too high, and i need to build a lot of it(15-20) with different powers.
To do what?

A project, i need to move weights of 150 g within 50ms at 20hz. I need something like how to start project a solenoid, from specifics i need of solenoid to better wire type to power it. What i find is only solenoid physics theory but it is useless if i want to built one.