1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectail Motion help

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    Someone please help me, I need help I'm writing program that graphs a baseball that has been hit with inital velocity 110 mph as an angle 45 degrees with a wind of 40 to -40 mph. All I really need is the equation of motion for a baseball with with this head or tail wind please please someone help me.

I know from my physics book that the acceration in the y-direction is a=g-(air drag) v^2. I have the value of the air drag but how do I find the accerlation the the x-direction. I'm assuming that the wind is acting in that direction.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2
    I have no idea about quantifying miles because im an aussie and we use metres and im 18 so i wasnt around when they had miles...

in the x direction you have an initial velocity of 110*cos45 essentially the only thing that will stop it in terms of x wil be drag so (110cos45) - air drag will be x (assuming you have a formula for air drag in terms of distance or time)... the y component will be 110*sin45 - g the problem is if your gonna modle the tagectory you need something in terms of time. i dunno exactly coz you havnt given much info... hope it helps
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?