1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projected cylinder!

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    1. A solid uniform cylinder of mass M and Radius is projected up an incline of angle Ө. It rolls without slipping from an initial speed V๐ of the center of mass. What distance s does the center of cylinder travel before it starts to fall back?

2. I=½MR², V²=V๐²+2as, F=ma, a=R²α ...

3. MgsinӨ+f=ma=mR²α , f=Iα/R

0²=V๐²-2as , I=I=½MR² , a=2gsinӨ
    But the answer page of the book says s= (3V๐²/4g) sinӨ [exactly as it's written---Prob. 9/67 PHYSICS for.... 3rd Edition; Fishbane-Gasiorowich-Thornton]
    I've found another solution from another book which goes with the conservation of the energy:
    ½MV๐²+½Iω๐²=MgH , H=SsinӨ
    For a solid uniform cylinder, rotational kinetic energy is 1/3th of total energy and therefore:
    3/2(½MV๐²)=MgSsinӨ, s=3V๐²/4gsinӨ

Which of us is correct????
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2007 #2
    I'm surprised that one one yet has an answer.
    Maybe it's a good idea to get in touch with the authors 'cos I believe they made a mistake either in the book's second or third edition.
  4. Jan 19, 2007 #3
    You should not use this because this neglects the affect of the rolling of the cylinder. Also, check your acceleration with a force-diagram (unless you meant SsinӨ).

However, as you have already stated
    , the conservation of energy includes the rolling. Make sure to check your calculations.

Need homework help? http://www.wholikeshomework.com
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?