1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile and ramp problem

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile starts from rest and moves 4.7 m down a frictionless ramp inclined at 21 degrees with the horizontal. the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

what what speed will it leave the ramp ?

what will the range of the projectile if the bottom of the ramp is 2.1 m above the ground

2. Relevant equations

V=Vi + at
    delta X = Vi*t+1/2 a*t^2
    Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2*a*deltaX

3. The attempt at a solution

Vertical,
    Viy=0
    ay=-9.8
    Vfy= - Vf sin 21
    delta y= -4.7 sin 21

horizontal,
    Vix= ( i thought it to be zero at first but it cant be zero because then the delta x comes out to be zero. So im confused at this one )
    ax=0
    Vfx=Vf cos 21
    delta x= 4.7 cos 21

so i used the third law and set it up as follows,

Vfy^2 = 2 (-9.8) (4.7 sin 21)

then the idea is to set the answer = Vf sin 21 and solve for Vf

it comes out to be 16.0329

but this is unfortunately not the right answer. can anyone help ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi physics_noob2,

I don't believe this is true; while it is on the ramp, there is another force besides gravity acting on the object.

More importantly, while it is on the ramp it is only moving in a single direction, so this part of the problem only has one-dimensional motion. What is the acceleration in the direction of motion? Once you have that, you can find the velocity at the end of the ramp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook