Projectile Motion: Calculating Velocity and Components

In summary, to find the speed of a projectile 3.00 seconds later that was launched at 35.0 degrees and 120m/s, you would use the x and y components, find the vertical speed using the given values, and then use the formula Vf = Vi + at to find the resultant speed of the two components. To find the maximum height of a projectile with only an initial velocity at a certain angle, you can use the formula d = Vit + .5(a)t^2 and set the y component to zero to solve for time, and then plug that time into the formula to find the maximum height.
Format
Need help with this one:

A Projectile is launched at 35.0 degrees above the horizontal with an intial velocity of 120m/s. What is the projectiles speed 3.00 seconds later?

Ive got the x and y compontents...wut now?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what you have:
[tex]\vec v=v_xi+v_yj[/tex]

Think of the above like a right triangle with the speed as the hypotenuse. How would you go about finding the length if this were a trig or algebra class?

The projectial's horizontal speed would be the x component
Find the vertial speed by using

a=-9.8m/s^2
t=3s
SpeedInital=y-component
SpeedFinal=solve for this

well i tried using Vf = Vi + at ...which has all i need but it doesn't give the correct answer (106m/s)

ohh, nevermind i get it...its the resultant of the 2 components :biggrin: thx

Format said:
well i tried using Vf = Vi + at ...which has all i need but it doesn't give the correct answer (106m/s)

It won't give you the correct answer. The speed of the projectile is the magnitude of the velocity vector. Velocity vector has two components--velocity in the x direction and velocity in the y direction. You said you found the x and y components already so you have your vector components.

Format said:
ohh, nevermind i get it...its the resultant of the 2 components :biggrin: thx

Good. You figured it out before I finished typing.

lol yea thx! One other thing concerning projectiles...how do you solve for maximum height with only an initial velolcity at a certain angle?

At Max Height, Vy will be 0, you know the vector is tangent to the parabole, if you know your calculus, you know the vector will be horizontal at max height.

hmm...still not gettin it

Show your work.

Y Components:
Vi = 7.89
Vf = 0
a = -9.8
t = 1.62
d = ?

d = Vit + .5(a)t^2
0 = 7.89t + .5(-9.8)t^2
t = 1.62

d = 7.89(1.62) + .5(-9.8)(1.62)^2

better?

lol nevermind I am dumb...i got it

1. What is the formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile is: y = y0 + xtanθ - gx²/(2(v₀cosθ)²), where y is the final height, y0 is the initial height, x is the distance traveled, θ is the launch angle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v₀ is the initial velocity.

2. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: R = (v₀²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the maximum height a projectile can reach?

The maximum height a projectile can reach is given by the formula: H = (v₀sinθ)²/(2g), where H is the maximum height, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you calculate the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the formula: t = (2v₀sinθ)/g, where t is the time of flight, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you calculate the trajectory of a projectile without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the trajectory of a projectile without knowing the initial velocity. This can be done by using the formula: y = y0 + xtanθ - (gx²)/(2(Rcosθ)²), where y is the final height, y0 is the initial height, x is the distance traveled, θ is the launch angle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the range of the projectile.