Calculate Magnitude of Target Body Momentum After Projectile Collision

In summary: Before collision m1v1 = (1.9)(4.8) = 9.12 After collision 3m/s*1.9kg*cos(59.6) = 2.88which is the sum of the perpendicular components
kbyws37
A projectile of mass 1.9 kg approaches a stationary target body at 4.8 m/s. The projectile is deflected through an angle of 59.6° and its speed after the collision is 3.0 m/s. What is the magnitude of the momentum of the target body after the collision?

Here momentum is conserved so Pi = Pf

3m/s*1.9kg*sin(59.6) = 4.92
3m/s*1.9kg*cos(59.6) = 2.88

i plugged it into
M1V1i + M2V2i = M1V1f + M2V2f
(1.9)(4.8) + M2V2i = 4.92 + 2.88
9.12 + M2V2i = 7.8
M2V2i = 1.32

however, my answer is wrong and i think it's b/c i plugged in numbers incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
kbyws37 said:
A projectile of mass 1.9 kg approaches a stationary target body at 4.8 m/s. The projectile is deflected through an angle of 59.6° and its speed after the collision is 3.0 m/s. What is the magnitude of the momentum of the target body after the collision?

Here momentum is conserved so Pi = Pf

3m/s*1.9kg*cos(59.6) = 2.88

i plugged it into
M1V1i + M2V2i = M1V1f + M2V2f
(1.9)(4.8) + M2V2i = 4.92 + 2.88
9.12 + M2V2i = 7.8
M2V2i = 1.32

however, my answer is wrong and i think it's b/c i plugged in numbers incorrectly.
You need to keep your "1"s and "2"s and your "i"s and "f"s straight. You should have 2 equations. One for the direction the projectile was moving before collision, and one for the perpendicular direction.

Before collision
m1v1 = (1.9)(4.8) = 9.12

After collision
which is in the perpendicular direction

i'm not quite sure what to do next

kbyws37 said:
Before collision
m1v1 = (1.9)(4.8) = 9.12

After collision
which is in the perpendicular direction

i'm not quite sure what to do next
The sum of the momentum components perpendicular to the initial momentum must be zero. The sum of the momentum components parallel to the initial momentum must equal the initial momentum. Write the momentum components for the target in terms of an unknown angle, and write two equations, one for the sum of the parallel components and one for the sum of the perpendicular components.

1. How do I calculate the magnitude of target body momentum after a projectile collision?

The magnitude of target body momentum after a projectile collision can be calculated using the formula:Momentum = Mass x Velocity. First, determine the mass and velocity of the target body before and after the collision. Then, plug in these values into the formula to calculate the momentum. The magnitude of the momentum is the absolute value of the result.

2. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is: Momentum = Mass x Velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In the context of a projectile collision, the momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

3. How does the mass of the target body affect its momentum after a collision?

The mass of the target body directly affects its momentum after a collision. The greater the mass of the target body, the greater its momentum will be. This is because momentum is directly proportional to mass.

4. What factors besides mass and velocity can affect the magnitude of target body momentum after a projectile collision?

Other factors that can affect the magnitude of target body momentum after a projectile collision include the angle and speed at which the projectile is launched, and the elasticity of the collision. A more elastic collision will result in a higher magnitude of momentum compared to an inelastic collision.

5. How can I use the calculated magnitude of target body momentum to predict the outcome of a projectile collision?

The calculated magnitude of target body momentum can be used to predict the outcome of a projectile collision by comparing it to the momentum of the projectile. If the target body has a higher momentum, it will likely cause the projectile to change direction or slow down. If the projectile has a higher momentum, it will likely cause the target body to move or be displaced.