Cube Projectile Motion: Air Resistance & Cross Sectional Area

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of predicting the orientation of a cube as it flies through the air, with considerations for the cube's design, air resistance, and other variables. It is concluded that due to the unpredictable nature of the environment and the limitations of the cube's design, it would be difficult to accurately predict its orientation. The concept of vortex shedding is also brought up as a potential factor in the cube's movement.
Mike Jones
We have a solid cube with some mass that we fire as a projectile at some angle. The cube is launched in such a way that two of the faces are perpendicular to the initial velocity vector. Assuming there is air resistance, would the cube change its orientation while it flies, even if the mass is balanced throughout the cube? If not, how can we find the cross sectional area at any given time?

Physics news on Phys.org
If two planes are each perpendicular to a specified vector, they are either the same plane or they are parallel to each other.

I don't think you said what you meant. Would you try again, please?

I can't answer your last question; in fact, I doubt that it can be answered. You'd have to have multiple laser scanners tracking the thing constantly.
I will say, just in case your basic goal is weapons development (either real or fictional), that what you've described is one of the worst possible designs for a firearms projectile. Beside its inherent instability, you can't effectively impart the twist that goes into spin-stabilizing a real bullet. Outside of any man-made considerations, remember that air is a dynamic fluid medium, not a constant. A 1 km/hr change in wind speed can throw something off target by a huge amount.

Likes Danger
That's an excellent link, 256bits, with lots of really nice secondary links.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to predict the orientation of a cube as it flies through the air. Based on the responses, it seems as though there are too many variables for such as predictive function to exist without producing inaccurate results.

Thank you for the link though! Very cool.

Mike Jones said:
Based on the responses, it seems as though there are too many variables for such as predictive function
I'm guessing that it would be about the same as sending someone into a tornado in a hang-glider and trying to predict where he'll puke.

What is cube projectile motion?

Cube projectile motion refers to the movement of a cube-shaped object through the air, taking into account factors such as air resistance and cross sectional area.

Why is air resistance important in cube projectile motion?

Air resistance is important because it is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In cube projectile motion, air resistance can cause the cube to slow down and change its trajectory.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a cube projectile?

Air resistance can cause the cube to follow a curved path instead of a straight line, as it experiences a force in the direction opposite to its motion. The magnitude of this force increases with the speed of the cube and the surface area of the cube in contact with the air.

What is the role of cross sectional area in cube projectile motion?

Cross sectional area is the surface area of the cube that is exposed to the air resistance. The larger the cross sectional area, the greater the force of air resistance on the cube will be, which can significantly affect its trajectory and speed.

How can cube projectile motion be calculated with air resistance and cross sectional area?

To calculate cube projectile motion with air resistance and cross sectional area, you will need to use equations from physics, such as Newton's laws and the drag force equation. These equations can be used to determine the acceleration, velocity, and position of the cube as it moves through the air.