1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile & Explosion

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    I got the answer to the first part (35,374.04 m), but I'm having trouble with the second. At first, I thought 1,2,3,6 would be the answer, but that was wrong. Then, I said that 2,3,6 would be the answer, but that too was wrong. Now I am thinking that the energy wouldn't matter (momentum, however, would matter). 2 definitely needs to be assumed, as well as 3,4,5, and 6. The answer would change if there was air resistance, the terrain wasn't level (which would in turn that the earth isn't flat), and finally if g was taken to be universal gravity rather than local, the answer would change a bit. Would I be correct to assume 2,3,4,5,6?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2
    This question is sort of vague. 4 and 5 would basically be the same (at least in this context).

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

If 4 and 5 are the same then your answer is correct.
    In an explosion energy isn't conserved cause of the explosion, when you trigger the explosion then you change the energy:
    if there is a bomb at rest then its energy is 0. But when it explodes it has a lot of kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?