How much ice melts when a projectile is fired at it?

In summary, the heat of fusion of ice is 3.35x10^5 J/kg and the projectile's kinetic energy is used to melt the ice. Assuming the ice is at 0 degrees C, the calculation for the amount of ice melted is correct, which is 0.002 kg. The rotational kinetic energy of the projectile is not taken into account in this calculation.
Walley1

Homework Statement

Newt needs to melt some ice, so he fires a test projectile (0.025 kg) at 30.0 degrees C at a speed of 240 m/s into a large block of ice at 0 degrees C, in which it becomes embedded (comes to rest). Approximately what mass of ice melts? (i.e. ignore the heat lost by the projectile in going from 30-0 degrees C).

Homework Equations

e=(mv^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The heat of fusion of water is 3.35x10^5J.
e=(0.025 * 240^2)/2=720J
720J/3.35x10^5J=0.002, so 0.002kg of ice melts.
I get the feeling that's incorrect, especially since I didn't do anything with the temperature (although it mentions that I should ignore the heat lost by the projectile).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy release of the projectile is its kinetic energy. So assuming the ice is at 0 C, the amount that melts equals the projectile KE divided by the latent heat of the ice. The rotational kinetic energy of the projectile is omitted. This is what you have done and it is correct. I assume the heat of fusion of ice is 3.35X10^5 J/kg. You left off the kg.

LawrenceC said:
Energy release of the projectile is its kinetic energy. So assuming the ice is at 0 C, the amount that melts equals the projectile KE divided by the latent heat of the ice. The rotational kinetic energy of the projectile is omitted. This is what you have done and it is correct. I assume the heat of fusion of ice is 3.35X10^5 J/kg. You left off the kg.

Thanks a million!

What is a projectile fired to melt ice?

A projectile fired to melt ice is a method of using a high-speed object, such as a bullet or pellet, to break up and melt ice on a surface. This technique is commonly used in cold weather regions to clear roads and sidewalks.

How does a projectile fired to melt ice work?

The projectile is fired from a gun or launcher at a high velocity, creating heat through friction as it travels through the air. When the projectile hits the ice, the heat energy is transferred to the ice, causing it to melt and break apart.

What type of projectiles are used to melt ice?

The most common type of projectile used to melt ice is a small pellet made of a material that generates heat when it is rapidly compressed, such as potassium permanganate or calcium oxide. Other types of projectiles include sand or salt-filled shells, which break upon impact and release heat-generating materials.

Are there any safety concerns with using a projectile to melt ice?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using this method. The projectile can cause damage to property or injury to people if not used properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective gear when handling and firing the projectiles.

What are the advantages of using a projectile to melt ice?

Using a projectile to melt ice is a quick and efficient method, especially for clearing large areas. It also does not require the use of chemicals, making it an environmentally friendly option. Additionally, it can be used in areas where traditional methods, such as salt or chemical deicers, are not effective.