How high does a projectile go when fired upward at 58.8 m/s for 1.5 seconds?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, a projectile with an initial velocity of 58.8 m/s is fired straight up and after 1.5 seconds, it is 77.175 meters above the ground. This can be calculated using the kinematics of constant acceleration, specifically the formula y = y_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2, where y is the final displacement, y_0 is the initial displacement (in this case, zero), v_0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the deceleration due to gravity. Ignoring other factors such as air resistance, this is a straightforward problem. It is also helpful to split the problem into two parts, finding
KingNothing
I am not sure how to do this. I keep coming out with the wrong answer.

"a projectile is fired straight up at an initial velocity of 58.8 m/s. How high above the ground is it 1.5 seconds after firing?"

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not supplied enough information. You would need to know the size, mass of the object to factor in wind resistance and kentic energy along with the effect of gravity.

Originally posted by Decker
I am not sure how to do this. I keep coming out with the wrong answer.
This should be in the homework help section.

Since you didn't show your work, we can't tell where you went wrong.

Ignoring the complication of air resistance, this is a straightforward application of the kinematics of constant acceleration:
[tex]y = y_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Originally posted by Rog
You have not supplied enough information. You would need to know the size, mass of the object to factor in wind resistance and kentic energy along with the effect of gravity.
For the sake of a high school physics problem (which this appears to be), none of that is relevant (except the effect of gravity, which is known).

I always split these problems into two parts for easier swallowing. First, use the deceleration due to gravity to find the speed of the projectile after 1.5 sec. Then multiply the time by the average speed.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I always split these problems into two parts for easier swallowing. First, use the deceleration due to gravity to find the speed of the projectile after 1.5 sec. Then multiply the time by the average speed.
Nothing wrong with that. :smile: For many students, it's the best approach.

I encourage students who are comfortable with the algebra to know (or derive!) the relationships between the three variables: distance, time, and speed. One should be able to produce at will a formula connecting any two of these variables (for constant acceleration). And understand how to apply them.

Yeah, I think that's the approach I ended up taking (I had to do this problem today, but sadly I didn't get to check this forum in time to see if there were any replies.)

Now this is really just pissing me off. I can't remember how I did it. AHHH! I hate that feeling. I want to say what I got for an answer to see if you all think its reasonable, but I can't even remember. If its not too much trouble, could someone give me a good or reasonable answer? I don't know why my memory chose to fail me now.

Scratch the above idea...let me see if I can remember.

What is y in that equation?

Last edited:
y is referring to distance or displacement. [itex]y_0[/itex] is the initial displacement, which in this case is zero.

Last edited:
I got D=77.175m. Can anyone confirm this?

That agrees with my answer.

1. What is a projectile fired upward?

A projectile fired upward is an object that is launched into the air with an initial velocity and then follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile fired upward?

The trajectory of a projectile fired upward is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the height of a projectile fired upward change over time?

The height of a projectile fired upward changes over time due to the force of gravity, which causes the projectile to slow down and eventually reach its maximum height before falling back to the ground.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile fired upward?

The maximum height reached by a projectile fired upward depends on the initial velocity and angle of launch. The higher the initial velocity and the closer the angle is to 90 degrees, the higher the maximum height will be.

5. How does the range of a projectile fired upward change with different initial velocities and angles?

The range of a projectile fired upward is affected by the initial velocity and angle of launch. A higher initial velocity and a closer angle to 45 degrees will result in a longer range, while a lower initial velocity and a wider angle will result in a shorter range.