Projectile Motion: Calculate Acceleration, Height, & More

In summary, the helicopter was accelerating uniformly upwards and 10 seconds later a flare was fired. The flare reached the ground after 10 seconds and its vertical speed was 98.1 m/s. The helicopter's actual speed after 10 seconds was double the mean speed and its height was attained after 30 seconds. Its height was then doubled to giving the total height of the helicopter when the flare hit the ground.
ado21
Projectile Help Please!

A helicopter resting on ground starts to accelerate uniformly upwards. After 30s a flare was fired horizontally from the helicopter. 10s later, the flare reached the ground. (g = 9.81m/s^2).
Calculate:

a)Acceleration of helicopter
b)Height from which flare was fired
c)Height of helicopter the instant flare reaches ground (assuming it continued its constant acceleration after flare was fired)

*****I have already been told that i must show my work before getting help but that is why i am here :(. I do not want the answer, i just want someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

After 10 seconds, the flare will have a vertical speed (vertical component of velocity) of 10 s * 9.81 m/s2 = 98. 1, m/s. (Its vertical speed was initially zero, as it was fired in a horizontal direction. Unless they mean horizontal relative to the ascending helicopter. I assume they don't mean that.)

The flare's mean vertical speed during its fall will be half of this. Multiplying this mean speed with 10 seconds will give the (vertical) distance covered, i.e. the height of the helicopter when the flare was fired.

That height was attained after thirty seconds. This allows us to calculate the mean speed of ascension during those thirty seconds. The actual speed after thirty seconds will be double the mean speed (because the helicopter was uniformly accelerating upwards). Dividing this new speed by thirty seconds, we find the acceleration. Now we can multiply this acceleration by forty seconds (30 + 10) and find the speed of the helicopter when the flare hits the ground. Dividing by two gives the mean speed of the helicopter during those forty seconds. Multiplying this mean speed by forty seconds should give us the height of the helicopter.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a form of motion in which an object or particle is thrown or projected near the Earth's surface and moves along a curved path under the action of gravity only.

How do you calculate the acceleration of a projectile?

The acceleration of a projectile can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of projection.

How do you calculate the height of a projectile?

The height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v^2sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, and θ is the angle of projection.

What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is attained at the point where the vertical component of the velocity becomes zero. This can be calculated using the formula h = (v^2sin^2θ)/2g.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, or drag force, can reduce the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's velocity, causing it to travel a shorter distance and reach a lower maximum height. It also causes the projectile's trajectory to deviate from a perfect parabola.