Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile hits a slope?

1. Sep 29, 2006 #1
    I was hoping someone might be able to help with this. I have provided the problem and everything I know about solving it. Any help will be appreciated.

A projectile hits a slope at a certain point. What is the range of the projectile along the slope?

Given: initial velocity (V sub-zero), the angle alpha, the angle Beta, and g (free fall acceleration constant).

Find R (range):

Apparently, the following equation will find the range of the projectile if it hit the ground instead of a slope above the ground:

R= (initial velocity squared)(sine 2angle theta)/g

Is there a specific equation to solve for the range of a projectile when it hits a slope rather than the ground?

The equations of two dimentional motion must be used to derrive this equation. It has something to do with finding y as a function of x (y(x)). The following equation must be used: x=(initial velocity multiplied by the cosine of angle theta) multiplied by time(t). Time must be eliminated from the equation yielding time=x/inititial velocity(angle alpha+angle beta).

Thank You everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2006 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Start by setting up the "slope equation" (straight line), it should be of the form y = mx + b. Now recall that when the projectile hits the slope, the trajectory equation of the projectile will have the same Y as our straight line. To get the range you can use the distance equation of 2 points in a cartesian plane.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook