Homework Problem: How to solve a projectile problem with given information?

In summary: If not, I can find it for you.In summary, the problem is to find the horizontal distance a ball travels before it lands on a roof. The equation for finding the velocity is Voy= [(Y-Yo)+0.5gt²)/t]*4 and the equation for the y-velocity is y=v_yt+0.5gt^2.
luvsk8ing
Hello.

Homework Statement

There is a link to the problem and its picture here: http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/19/04717580/0471758019-1.pdf
It is # 46.

Here is the problem as well:
In Fig. 4-44, a ball is thrown up onto a roof, landing 4.00 s later at height h=20.0m above the release level. The ball’s path just before landing is angled at θ = 60.0° with the roof. (a) Find the horizontal distance d it travels. (See the hint to Problem 41.) What are the (b) magnitude and (c) angle (relative to the horizontal) of the ball’s initial velocity?

Given/Known:
t=4.00s
h=20.0m
θ=60.0°
Yo=0
Y=20.0m
ΔY=h

Homework Equations

I used these:
Voy=(Y-Yo + 0.5gt²)/t
Vo=Voy/(sin θ)
Vox=Vo (cos θ)
Δx=(Vo cos θ) t
magnitude= √[(Vox)²+(Voy)²]
θ=arctan (Y/X)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved for Voy, first:
Voy= [20 m + (0.5)(9.8 m/s²)(4 s)²]/ 4 s
=24.6 m/s

then, Vo:
Vo=(24.6 m/s) / (sin 60°)=28.4 m/s

Vox=(28.4 m/s) (cos 60°)= 14.2 m/s

Want:
a) Δx = (28.4 m/s)(cos 60°) (4 s)
= 56.8 m

b) magnitude (V)= √[(14.2 m/s)²+(24.6 m/s)²]= 28.4 m/s

c) θ= (tan ^-1)[(24.6 m/s)/(14.2 m/s)] = 60°

I'm worried my answers seem wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you do not know how high the ball went, you need to break the problem into 2 pieces. One piece is when the ball reaches the height of the roof (20m) reaches its highest point and returns to the roof. The second piece is the flight from the ground to roof height. You need to find how long the ball spends on the trip up to the roof. Once you get that time you know how long the rest of the flight took.

See if you can use that to finish the problem.

... then, Vo:
Vo=(24.6 m/s) / (sin 60°)=28.4 m/s ...

How do you now that the launching angle is sixty degrees?

(a) Using

[tex]v_y = v_{y0} - gt[/tex]

one get that

[tex]v_{y0} = v_y + gt[/tex]

substitute that into

[tex]y = v_{y0}t - 0.5gt^2[/tex]

to get

[tex]y = v_yt + 0.5gt^2[/tex]

using the data when it lands on the roof you can solve for the y-velocity component, which enables you to get the x-velocity component since

[tex]\frac{v_{y\ roof}}{v_x} = \tan(60^o)[/tex]

Do you have the entry page (contents/chapters) address for the Wiley notes?

Last edited:

What is a Projectile Homework Problem?

A projectile homework problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity.

How do I solve a Projectile Homework Problem?

To solve a projectile homework problem, you will need to use the equations of motion for projectile motion, which include equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to consider the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity.

What are the key concepts involved in solving a Projectile Homework Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a projectile homework problem include understanding the equations of motion for projectile motion, using vector components to break down the initial velocity, considering the effects of gravity, and applying trigonometry to determine the angle of launch.

What are some common mistakes when solving a Projectile Homework Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a projectile homework problem include forgetting to consider the effects of gravity, using the wrong equations of motion, and making errors in vector addition or trigonometric calculations.

How can I improve my skills in solving Projectile Homework Problems?

To improve your skills in solving projectile homework problems, you can practice using different types of projectile problems, review the equations of motion and their applications, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are having trouble understanding the concepts.