Projectile Motion Homework: Find y(x) & Graph -45, 45 deg

In summary, the conversation involves finding the trajectory of a rocket-powered hockey puck on frictionless ice, with the front of the rocket tilted at an angle. The equation for the trajectory is y(x)=V*(sqrt(2x/a*cos))+xtan, with a given thrust of 2N and a mass of 1kg. A graph of the function at 45 and -45 degrees is to be made for x values from 0 to 20m. The solution is y=2.38*sqrt(x)+x, with xtan45=1x.
Weave

Homework Statement

A rocket powered hockey puck on frictionless ice slides along the y-axis. The front of the rocket is tilted at an angle from the x-axis. The rocket motor ignities as the puck crosses the origin, exerting a Force(thrust) on the puck.
A. Find algebraic equation y(x) for the pucks trajectory
B. Thrust= 2N.
Mass of rocket/puck togther =1kg
Intial speed is 2.0m/s^2 along the y-axis. Make graph of f(x) at 45 deg. and -45 deg. fromx=0 to 20m

Homework Equations

y=y(nought)+vt+.5at^2
x=x(nought)+vt+.5at^2
a=F(net)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I get: y(x)=V*(sqrt(2x/a*cos))+xtan
But it is incorrect.
B. at -45 deg, y(8.5) is suppose to equal 0 but my equation doesn't follow this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?...

Its always difficult to answer these questions without the work shown. What would help is to show the x and y accelerations as a function of angle. In one case the puck will try to fly opposed by gravity, in the -45, the rocket thrust will add to gravity. In both cases the x acceleration is some fraction of the rocket force.

actually, the puck does not leave the ground; the puck is just in a x/y plane on ice taking on a projectile motion.
For X: x= .5a(x)cost*t^2, a(x) is acceleration in the x direction.
Y: y=vt+.5a(y)sin*t^2, a(y) is the acceleration in the y direction.
I solved for t in my x equation and got t=sqrt(x/a*cos)
Substituting t into Y I get y(x)=V*(sqrt(2x/a*cos))+xtan.
a=2m/s^2 so the equation can simplify to
y(x)=V*(sqrt(x/cos))+xtan.

Last edited:
lets call a(x)=a1. So x=.5*a1*cos(theta)*t^2 as initial Vx=0;

then t=sqrt(2x/(a1*cos(theta))) as in somewhere the .5 got dropped?

ok, my prof. gave us the solution to this problem today. I did get the generic equation right but still the wrong value. He said:
y=sqrt((2*1kg*x)\(2N*cos45))+xtan45; this simplyfies to :
y=2.38*sqrt(x)+x, but how? where does this 2.38 come from? xtan45=1x but what happens to the other terms?

Scratch that last note, I got it

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, affected only by the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What is y(x) in projectile motion?

y(x) represents the vertical position of the object at a given horizontal position, x. It is often referred to as the displacement or height of the object.

How do I find y(x) in projectile motion?

To find y(x), you can use the equation y(x) = y0 + tanθx - (gx^2)/(2v0^2cos^2θ), where y0 is the initial vertical position, θ is the launch angle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v0 is the initial velocity.

How do I graph projectile motion?

To graph projectile motion, plot the values of y(x) on the y-axis and x on the x-axis. You can use the equation mentioned above to calculate y(x) for different values of x. The resulting graph will be a parabola.

What are the launch angles -45 and 45 degrees in projectile motion?

The launch angles -45 and 45 degrees represent the two possible angles at which an object can be launched in projectile motion. -45 degrees is the angle below the horizontal and 45 degrees is the angle above the horizontal.