1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Jumper Problem

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long jumper leaves the ground at 45 degrees above the horizontal and lands 8.2 meters away. What is her "takeoff" speed v0?

2. Relevant equations

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
    v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad
    v = v0 + at

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't seem to figure this problem out. Here's the information I got from the problem so far:

x component:

x0 = 0
    x = 8.2 m
    a = 0

y component:

y0 = 0
    a = -9.8 m/s^2

There seems to be too many missing variables to solve the equation. I even tried breaking the projectile in half, which yielded me this:

x component:

x0 = 0
    x = 4.1 m
    a = 0
    v = v0

y0 = 0
    a = -9.8 m/s^2
    v = 0

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also realize that v0x and v0y components are equal, since the angle is 45 degrees. I know this is important, but I can't connect it to anything.

I still can't seem to figure it out, since I need y, or how high the object goes at its highest point. I also can't figure out the time it takes... If I knew either of those, I could figure it out, but I can't seem to get anything from this.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2
    A few points you may find useful, for the full length problem

1) the jumper 'lands' - this means that at the end of the jump the y displacement is zero as she returns to the ground (y = 0)

2) the point above means that the final velocity in the y-direction must be equal in magnitude to the initial velocity but in the opposite direction (vy = -v0y)

3) you can solve for the time in the y-direction using v = v0 + at

I think you should be able to manage the rest. The trick is just to realize what's happened in the y-direction at the end of the jump.
  4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    i understand that y=0 and vy=-v0y...

what i dont understand is how you can use v = v0 + at to find the time, since you still don't know what v0 (or v) is.
  5. Sep 13, 2008 #4
    I should just mention that time will be a function of the v0y. When you use this time in the equation for the x-direction velocity you'll end up with something like v0x * v0y = number. Then just use what you know about the angles to get the answer.
  6. Sep 13, 2008 #5
    I solved it!

It wound up being 9.0 m/s, after I found the v0x=v0y=6.338769597

Thanks so much for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?