Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile lauched to the east of the earth has a reach R

1. Jan 15, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am told that a projectile lauched to the east of the earth has a reach R. Is this the measure of the arc or of the chord joining the point of lauch and the point of fall ???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the measure of the arc,or if u prefer fancy words,the lengh of the geodesic curve pasing through the 2 points...

However,the projectile's trajectory is not parabolic,as i hope you know...The projection of this curve onto the surface of the earth should match the geodesical curve.

Daniel.

4. Jan 17, 2005 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

Does it match exactly? I've heard that with the advent of truly long-range (long-range by modern standards) ballistic munitions, it became important to replace the classic image of the parabolic trajectory, and use the ellipse-segment to plot the firing solution, otherwise you miss the target. Does anyone know if that's true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?