Projectile Launch Angle: What Could Be Causing My Arccos Computation Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses different formulas for calculating the angle of elevation depending on whether the target is lower or higher. The first formula is a = 9.8 * distance^2 / velocity^2 and the second formula is phi = Arctan(distance / height_diff). The conversation also mentions that the same formulas can be used if the "height_diff" is negative, but there may be issues with the arccos computation.
dejavu333
Homework Statement
velocity:20m/s we're on 5m, target is on 10m. What are the possible launching angles? The diatance is 40m
Air resistance can be neglected.
Relevant Equations
none
if the target is lower than me, the formula is below, but if it's higher as in the task, a whole different formula is required I think.
a = 9.8 * distance^2 / velocity^2
phi = Arctan(distance / height_diff)
angle_if_elevation = ( Arccos((a - height_diff) / Sqroot(height_diff^2) + distance^2)) + phi ) / 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Your left out an open paren, so:
angle_if_elevation = ( Arccos((a - height_diff) / Sqroot((height_diff^2) + distance^2)) + phi ) / 2

The same formulas are used - with the "height_diff" being negative.
But, you may not get results to your expectation.
My guess is that your arccos computation is giving you a problem.

What do you think is the source of that problem?

I think this is your graphic:
projectile-angle.png

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of projectile launch angle?

The projectile launch angle is the angle at which an object is launched or thrown into the air. It is an important factor in determining the trajectory and distance of the object's flight.

2. How is the projectile launch angle calculated?

The projectile launch angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, in relation to the initial velocity and the gravitational force acting on the object.

3. What could be causing an Arccos computation problem when calculating projectile launch angle?

There could be several factors causing an Arccos computation problem, such as incorrect input values, rounding errors, or using the wrong formula for the given situation. It is important to double check all values and equations used in the calculation.

4. How can I troubleshoot an Arccos computation problem when calculating projectile launch angle?

To troubleshoot an Arccos computation problem, you can try using a different formula or checking for any errors in the input values. You can also try using a calculator or software specifically designed for projectile motion calculations.

5. Are there any other factors besides the launch angle that can affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the trajectory of a projectile, such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the shape and weight of the object. These factors should also be taken into consideration when calculating the launch angle.