Projectile Motion: Understanding Launch Angles and Speeds

In summary: The angle at which the projectile is kicked off the building has no effect on its velocity at impact.
Auto Engineer
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, if in wrong place please fogive.

I am currently studying physics looking at the topic of projectiles, working out the maths is not a problem, but in class is not like having real experience out in the world around us, so my question is;

What type of books would I look for to help strengthen my understanding of conclusions to be drawn from any results of experiments completed, if say I had launch three projectiles at the same speed but at different angles, and then at the same angles but at different speeds, I would reach different conclusions based on those launch angles and speeds used.

So instead of just saying things like the optimum launch angle is 45 degrees, and higher or lower limits will either increase or reduce the distance travelled, I would have appreciated some information from research completed, would anyone know where to look for that sort of information.

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If you are looking for actual research, the 45 degree angle thing is wrong and the question is one of aerodynamics and gets pretty complicated -- but there wouldn't be any recent research on it, as it is pretty well understood (the only research is on the drag and lift properties of specific projectiles, not on the underlying physics). If you are interested in the 45 degree angel thing, then the question is a basic introductory physics problem of projectile motion in a vacuum and any high school physics book will have a good treatment of the concept.

Yeah, projectiles are a pretty simple thing to deal with. Basic kinematics and trig can solve any simple two-dimensional problem. I don't know how to work with 3D vectors yet :/

Basic things like:

A ball is kicked off a building at an angle of (this) and has an initial velocity of (that). What is it's velocity on impact and how long does it take to fall?

What is a projectile launch angle?

A projectile launch angle is the angle at which an object is launched or thrown into motion. It is the angle between the horizontal and the direction in which the object is moving.

Why is the launch angle important in projectile motion?

The launch angle is important because it determines the trajectory or path of the projectile. A higher launch angle will result in a longer flight time and distance, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter flight time and distance.

What is the optimal launch angle for maximum distance?

The optimal launch angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity, resulting in the farthest distance traveled.

How does air resistance affect the optimal launch angle?

Air resistance can decrease the optimal launch angle for maximum distance. This is because air resistance slows down the horizontal component of the projectile's velocity, resulting in a shorter distance traveled. In this case, a lower launch angle would be more optimal.

How does changing the launch angle affect the projectile's range and height?

Changing the launch angle can affect both the range and height of the projectile. A higher launch angle will result in a longer range but a lower height, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter range but a higher height. The optimal launch angle balances these two factors to achieve the maximum distance.