1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Launched Question

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 500kg object is launched from the top of a 12m building with intial speed of 5.2m/s and angle of 38degrees. How far away does object land?

2. Relevant equations
    y=vit + 1/2at^2
    quadratic formula
    d=vt

3. The attempt at a solution
    first i separate the initial velocity into its x and y coordinates. Using cos and sin. Next I input this found value of the y direction velocity into the y=vit + 1/2at^2. I rearrange this formula and solve it as a quadratic for time, and I use the positive time value which I got as 1.92s. Next I multiply this time value by the velocity in the x direction I got from doing the cos of the initial velocity.

I end up getting the object lands 7.9 m away from the building. Can anyone check and see if this is right? Also the mass was negligble right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2013 #2
    Your method is correct.

If you want your numbers to be checked, post the intermediate values you got (init. velocity components, time of flight).

4. Sep 23, 2013 #3
    Well the initial velocity was 5.2m/s. The y component of this is 3.2m/s, and the x component is 4.097 m/s.

When I solve for time from the quadratic formula, I get -1.272s and 1.923s. I use the positive value cause you cant have negative time.

Now I just multiply the time by the x component velocity and get 7.9m.

5. Sep 23, 2013 #4
    Everything looks good.

6. Sep 23, 2013 #5
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted