1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Launcher Ideas?

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    Projectile Launcher Ideas???

I was originally going to make a trebuchet, but my teacher informed me that trebuchets are not very effective, though accurate if made right. I decided to make a spring loaded projectile launcher, yet I can't find any material lists or designs on the Internet. The launcher will need to be height and distance adjustable. It needs to be able to be launched within 2-6m, 2.5m height limit, and a 10cm-1m platform range

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    Re: Projectile Launcher Ideas???

But trebuchets are so cool! I think there some kind of rule that if you're on the internet you have to love trebuchets! Does your teacher hate computers or something?
    J/K

Seriously, what did s/he mean "not very effective"? In what respect?

The mathematics of trebuchets are very well developed and much more interesting than for springs.

My guess is that a spring-loaded device would be much less repeatable than a trebuchet, meaning more stochastic in actual practice (more subject to random statistical variations). That's just my engineering gut-feel.

With a stiff spring it will be hard to make sure you store the exact same amount of energy every time, and a weak spring will require more movement when releasing the energy, giving rise to variations in friction. Aiming will be a challenge unless the projectile travels thru a barrel, but then you will have friction that, again, will be rather stochastic.

What is the mass of the projectile?

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

I'm using a racquet ball. I don't know the mass of that. I might end up doing a trebuchet anyway since I have all the plans and materials drawn out. I don't really know what he meant by ineffective, though

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

A pneumatic device will be much more accurate and powerful than a spring-loaded device. Plus the sound makes it fun! All you need is some PVC pipe, a quick release valve, and a pump.

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5

Could you explain what it looks like and how it works?

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It is just a tank, a quick-release valve, and a barrel. Pump a bunch of air under pressure into the tank, drop your ball down the barrel, release the valve, and thump! You can find plans and details all over the internet:

http://www.duke.edu/~jwc13/tennisball.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Oct 21, 2009 #7

I need to be able to adjust the angle, however. The pneumatic device looks accurate, but I have to launch it from a distance. Also, I probably don't have enough time to pump air into it between launches.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook