Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Launcher.

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    I have a question- How exactly should I go about building a projectile launcher with a ping pong ball?:rolleyes:

Would you recommend a catapult launcher, a rubberband launcher, or a spring launcher?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2
    I Need Help Please.

I'm pretty sure that I'm building a rubber band launcher.

How would you assemble this?:surprised

4. May 22, 2006 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

There are table tennis practice machines, the cheap ones use air, but the good ones use two wheels, similar to a baseball pitching maching. The two wheels are driven by dc motors, and and run forwards or backwards independently so that extreme backspin or top spin can be generated.

http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?cid=robots&scid=butterfly&pid=b-amicus-3000-p

5. May 22, 2006 #4

Mk

Can you give us a little bit more information including:
    time period
    money
    class you are taking, unless it is for fun
    means for propulsion

You could built a nice rubber band and catapult hybrid with PVC, having the armature as-pulled-back increase tension on many rubber bands (thick, or even another material). When the arm is let go of, the elastic potential will release and catapault!! WHOOO!!

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  6. May 22, 2006 #5
    Thanks, its for a regular physics class, just for fun. We just need to have the ping pong fly accurately.
    Great Ideas! Thank you

7. May 22, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

For accuracy, I'd recommend something along the approach that Jeff mentioned. Top or bottom spin should keep the ball going pretty much in a straight horizontal trajectory. Your elevation can be adjusted by varying the speed or the vertical angle of the launcher. Side spin would make it curve, and probably not with acceptable accuracy.

8. May 23, 2006 #7

Mk

Just get a small motor out of an old computer's fan or something like that to drive the wheels. If that is too complicated you could put a spring in the bottom of a tube, put the ball in the tube, and push down on the ball, then let go. :rofl:

9. May 23, 2006 #8
  10. May 24, 2006 #9

Mk

That's the n00b way. :biggrin:

11. May 24, 2006 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If you use a hose with air blowing through it, you can place a rubber band on one side of the opening to impart spin on the ping pong ball. You'd want the rubber band on the top to generate backspin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?