How can I design a stable spring launcher for my ISU project?

• Thread starter rainbows
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to design a spring launcher that can shoot a spring at different angles and stretch lengths. The provided example uses hinges, but the stability is a concern. Suggestions are given, including using a threaded rod or curved metal brackets for stability.
rainbows
i need to design a spring launcher that can shoot a spring given various stretch lengths and angles
here is a somewhat close example

http://www.efreaks.org/pics/2004-03-09_Physics/pages/000_0031.htm"

i don't quite understand how to join the 2 wooden pieces together that would give me the flexiblity of changing the angle upon my leisure.( from 0-90 degrees)..the above example uses hinges but that doesn't seem stable enough..cause they might move with some force...it needs to be stable

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

You could use something like a threaded rod, that you turn, and it rotates the platform. Like a C-clamp, except without the C.

Amateur astronomers sometimes use the same idea for cheap camera mounts to track the stars-- they call them barndoor trackers, and its the same idea-- although you would need a bigger range.

Just a thought. You could also use curved metal brackets that the platform locks into with wingnuts or some such contraption.

I understand your need to design a spring launcher for your ISU project. The example you provided is a good starting point, but I can see your concern about the stability of the hinges used to adjust the angle. In order to ensure stability, I would recommend using a more rigid and secure joint, such as a ball and socket joint. This type of joint allows for a wide range of movement while still maintaining stability and precision in the angle adjustment.

Another option could be to use a sliding mechanism with a locking mechanism to hold the spring at different stretch lengths. This would eliminate the need for hinges altogether and provide a stable and easily adjustable launcher.

In any case, it would be important to test and adjust your design to ensure that it can withstand the force of the spring and maintain its stability during launch. This could involve using stronger materials or reinforcing certain parts of the design.

I would also suggest researching and studying other spring launcher designs for inspiration and ideas on how to improve your own design. With careful planning and experimentation, I am confident that you will be able to create a successful and stable spring launcher for your ISU project. Good luck!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air due to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

3. How can I calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion is the motion in the x-direction, while the vertical component is the motion in the y-direction. The horizontal component remains constant, while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the path of a projectile by slowing it down and causing it to follow a slightly different trajectory. This is especially significant for objects with a larger surface area or moving at higher speeds.